Arduino for controlling air solenoids

Hello there! I just signed up, hope i’ll have a good time here :slight_smile:

Im just a starter in arduino and just know how to make and LED blink and pretty basic stuff… also, i’m a beginner in electronics in general(not that I’m an idiot at that, lets just say that)
Anyways… I need an Arduino to control an “air valve block” (not the one in the picture but basically yhe same principle). I would use it on a car, to control the air suspension thats currently on it. So the arduino should read 4 sensors (one on each wheel, also pictured) that would tell it which solenoid to open, and when to close it. Also, it would need to have a feature where it automatically opens all the valves at once, to either inflate or deflate the four airbags.

I hope that someone can help me out with this, at least with a list of components to use…
Bare in mind that I know there are ready available parts that do exactly that, but I like to experiment, and also i know that someone already built one of those but he doesn’t seem to be online anymore, or doesn’t want to be disturbed anyways…

Thank you very much, and sorry if I misspelled something, im from Croatia. :slight_smile:

Start to studie the ready built hight/air level sensors. Don't even dream about creating Your own sensors. They will not survive any other climate than inside a garage.

Yeah… 4 inputs & 4 outputs should be "easy’.

Do you have any technical information about the sensors? Are they just switches, or maybe they have a potentiometer?

If the sensors are connected to the 12V system, you’ll need a voltage divider (2-resistors) and/or a resistor-diode over-voltage circuit for each sensor because the Arduino runs at 5V.

And the valves probably aren’t simply on/off, right? I’m guessing there are 3-states… Inflate, deflate, hold? That would require 8 outputs.

[u]Here is a MOSFET driver circuit[/u] for a motor or solenoid.

And… If this thing is fully-automatic and running all of the time, you’ll probably have to “do something” (in software) so it’s stable and not constantly re-adjusting & switching on/off (unless you want that). For example, a heating/cooling system has hysteresis (AKA “swing”). A heater switches-on slightly below the target temperature, then it stays-on until it’s slightly above the target. Then after it’s off again, it doesn’t come-on until the temperature is slightly-below target again.

Also, it would need to have a feature where it automatically opens all the valves at once, to either inflate or deflate the four airbags.

That’s easy once you get your software going but you’ll still need the independent sensing because they won’t all inflate/deflate at the same exact rate.

Hello.. seems that I don't get notified when someone posts