Arduino for image sensors

Hi, I m new to Arduino. I find out on the website that Arduino has a whole catalog of MCUs, but I have no idea what each of them is capable of. I want to build a board-level camera with CMOS image sensor and a USB output. So does anyone have any suggestions on which microcontroller board should I choose?

Arduinos are generally inappropriate for image handling. They don't have nearly enough memory to hold a picture of reasonable resolution and they're not fast enough to do any kind of image manipulation.

USB 2.0 is 480Mbits/second and that just doesn't jive with an Arduino running at 20MHz.

You need to provide more details as to what exactly you're trying to achieve if you want additional help.

Chagrin:
Arduinos are generally inappropriate for image handling. They don't have nearly enough memory to hold a picture of reasonable resolution and they're not fast enough to do any kind of image manipulation.

USB 2.0 is 480Mbits/second and that just doesn't jive with an Arduino running at 20MHz.

You need to provide more details as to what exactly you're trying to achieve if you want additional help.

Thanks so much for your advice!
So, I am not even clear about details myself. Basically, I am trying to build a CMOS image sensor (monochrome, 0.3~1.3MP) testing platform using breadboard. I should be able to access the image using MATLAB, LabView or any software provided by the MCU manufacturer. I need to check if purchased image sensors work properly. I think I will have certain sockets or adapters to make the connection to specific image sensors easier. Then I wire the image sensor (with sockets) and MCU to the breadboard. I don't think I need some functions from FPGA. So far, I don't know if I need any more components (probably a lot more). Now I want to find out what kind of MCUs will be capable of handling the image sensor.