Arduino for little project in robotics

Hi there mates,

I'm going investigating on feasability of my project and materials that I will need. My project: Create a little robot that : - can move forward and backward and turn 360* (can be wheels or legs) - can be controlled remotely (wifi / wan connect) - can detect objects forward and backward (for collision avoidance) - can transmit images and video through wifi/wan - can move a laser pointer attached to a articulated arm

Arduino features: Connectivity: I think that the board that fit my needs could be the Arduino Yun, which is complete compared to the Arduino Uno or Duamilanove, to which I would have to connect wifi shiedl at least for my needs.

Robotics: For robotics part (wheels, legs and articulated arm) I will need to connect some motors to make it move and move the arm. I would need at least : - 2 motors bidirectional (for turning right and left and for going forward and backward) - 2 motors bidirectional (for moving the arm 360° and bend it)

Does it seems a realistic project for you guys ? Will the Arduino Yun be capable to host such a project ?

Thank you, Arkh

This is a little more than a "simple robotics project", but if you divide it up it won't be too bad. The car part is simple and can be done by any arduino, and there are tons of posts and examples on this. The Yun will help handle the Wifi. The articulated arm is a bit more complicated, but depends on ,many joints you intend to make it, it could be a simple servo/stepper motor. The part that won't really work is the camera. The arduino just cannot handle video. You can however mount some form of wireless camera to your device independent of the arduino.

The below routerbot project has parts that might be of use in your project.

The part that won't really work is the camera.

What even on the Yun?.

Mark

I read about "Arduino Camera Shield ArduCAM-F", the purpose of the camera would be only to see what the robot sees. The purpose would be to transmit data recorded by the camera over the wifi. Then, on client application, client process will compute the data, I don't need the arduino to do things based on what is displayed by the camera.

Thanks for your feedback, it will be an interesting project I think =)

holmes4:

The part that won’t really work is the camera.

What even on the Yun?.

Mark

I could be wrong, but the Yun is using an ATmega32u4 connected to a Ethernet host chip. The 32u4 is not much better than the 328 for handling that sort of thing in terms of memory or processing speed. However, I’m sure there are wireless webcam modules that you can just feed back to a PC separately.

I could be wrong, but the Yun is using an ATmega32u4 connected to a Ethernet host chip.

You are wrong, both the WiFI, USB host, and the E-net of the Yun are connected to the 400 MHz AR9331 processor so it should be ideal. A WiFi shield + an Uno is more expensive that a Yun.

The other way to get vision for the 'bot is an IP cam.

Mark