Arduino Game controller

Hello all Im new here and to Arduino products. Basically, i want to make a Button Box to control various aspects of Farming Simulator on my Nintendo Switch. All I want to know is if it is possible for Arduino to work with a Nintendo Switch and ( once I make it) how could I add reprogrammable features so that I could swap the box between games?

Thanks.

Can the Switch handle USB HID controllers? The Arduino Leonardo can talk USB HID to USB hosts (PC, console).

I dont know if this will be helpfull, but when the Switch is Docked there is 2 USB A inputs that can be used. Wether that be headsets, extra controllers or anything else.

Really, will an Arduino work as a controller or an extra controller on a single player game with NO multiplayer capabilities?

look here seriously that was faster than opening up an account here and post your question.

First hit will do :D

[/quote]

Bringamosa: [

First hit will do :D

[/quote] That didnt really help or answer my question. the problem is I want to have my regular controller plugged in but my DIY button box plugged in as well. Since FS on Nintendo Switch is only single player ( no split screen/extra controllers connected) I have to find a way for the arduino/button box to work as a regular controller but will have to work alongside my other controller ( used to move about and drive while my box will be for Tractor controls)

I have already established I can make a game controller, and its simply just making a button box but the hard part is getting it to work properly with the Switch and the game.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,](http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nintendo+switch+arduino)

ninjachop: I dont know if this will be helpfull, but when the Switch is Docked there is 2 USB A inputs that can be used. Wether that be headsets, extra controllers or anything else.

Really, will an Arduino work as a controller or an extra controller on a single player game with NO multiplayer capabilities?

So plug your mouse into it and see if it works, or maybe a USB stick. Both are HID. Leonardo does HID as either or both and/or keyboard depending on what code you use. See if your USB keyboard is recognized because if it is then there's a big button box.

Maybe you should have said that in the opening post. Nowhere there i can find toy dressing toy made something already. Only asking if possible..

ninjachop: All I want to know is if it is possible for Arduino to work with a Nintendo Switchs.

You say you can't make or work with the game, the first hit says:

On June 20, 2017, Nintendo released System Update v3.0.0 for the Nintendo Switch. Along with a number of additional features that were advertised or noted in the changelog, additional hidden features were added. One of those features allows for the use of compatible USB controllers on the Nintendo Switch, such as the Pokken Tournament Pro Pad.

Unlike the Wii U, which handles these controllers on a 'per-game' basis, the Switch treats the Pokken controller as if it was a Switch Pro Controller. Along with having the icon for the Pro Controller, it functions just like it in terms of using it in other games, apart from the lack of physical controls such as analog sticks, the buttons for the stick clicks, or other system buttons such as Home or Capture.

So maybe contact thoss folks directly they are all into what toy are trying to do? I hope you succeed gl.

Ok then. Well I have established that USB devices do work, now what about mapping buttons and plug and play? How can I do this on the arduino?

Also, I was.thinking of using a TFT/Touch screen LCD.If a TFT is possible for use I would put it on the box. Would using this be easier than manual buttons?

Adding a layer of complexity will not make the job easier.

GoForSmoke: Adding a layer of complexity will not make the job easier.

What makes it more complex? should just stick with buttons?

Also what about mapping buttons and plug and play? How can I do this on the arduino?

When troubleshooting bugs, the best method is to remove unknowns until a minimal system can run and then go back and add pieces one as a time to deal with new problems alone instead of assembling everything at once and then trying to debug. This is true for both hardware and software. If you build software up on an always working solid before adding the next piece, it will go easier and quicker.

A TFT screen is a complicated bit to add. It will require more code to put up images and capture touches. Depending on what TFT module you get it can be easier or harder to wire and use with text or graphics, the touchscreen be easy or a pita so be sure to get something that's gotten success in multiple projects so there's a few -working- examples to go from.

Buttons are usually less complicated, but may require more hand work assembling. OTOH you can buy cheap keypads that do wire up easy and there are articles showing how to interface PS2 keyboard/keypad/mouse with Arduino -- Walmart sold PS2 kb and mouse sets for $12 just 2 years ago and still might.

Neither way is insurmountable but I'd expect the TFT to take longer unless you get really good help with it. Yes, hard choice.

Keep the project modular and you could go one way then replace with another later on.

I just want you to take care and get good results, this started out as a lot for a beginner to tackle.

As for mapping buttons, you have control over that. Your Arduino reads button or TFT input and matches each input char with a correct output char or string and send that HID or Serial to the Switch. It is only some code you write that decides what button makes what control signal, you have loads of freedom there and yes one button could send whole series of commands and/or change what the button does according to whatever you choose to make it so.

GoForSmoke: As for mapping buttons, you have control over that. Your Arduino reads button or TFT input and matches each input char with a correct output char or string and send that HID or Serial to the Switch. It is only some code you write that decides what button makes what control signal, you have loads of freedom there and yes one button could send whole series of commands and/or change what the button does according to whatever you choose to make it so.

Very cool.

So if the Switch accepts keyboard input can I sort of program the Arduino to run like a keyboard? Only problem is I havent tested wether FS will be controlled with a keyboard yet.

Saitek X52 buttons can be configured to send keys (incl ctrl/alt/shift and F keys) and they get used for PC flight sims.

The Leonardo can send HID keyboard/stick/mouse commands. Stick is axes, stick buttons are keyboard AFAIK.

GoForSmoke: Saitek X52 buttons can be configured to send keys (incl ctrl/alt/shift and F keys) and they get used for PC flight sims.

Can the Leonardo do the same thing?

Hi, You seem to be asking "Can I..."

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom... :)

Leonardo can be a stick, keyboard and mouse all at the same time, look to the host device like all 3.

Yes it can send keys same as the X52 and Thrustmaster that use the same standard, USB HID. Human Interface Device. The Arduino-compatible Teensy 2.0 and the Arduino Micro can do it too if you want a tiny board to stuff in a housing.

I have no experience with arduino/ hardware or programme.

Were you born able to read and write? You can.....

Well, although I have no experience with arduino I do have experience with electronics.

Also was just wondering - IF keyboard doesnt work ( im going to test it this weekend with a keyboard) then how would I be able to get the Leonardo to emulate/simulate a Nintendo controller?

My suggestion : you can "hack" an official switch controller, so the arduino will clic on buttons instead of you. I already did this hack to create a pinball.