Arduino Genuino price is $9 ?

I was poking around on Taobao.com, marveling at incredibly low prices for Arduino clones.

Then this came up: the link for SeeedStudio’s Genuino, the officially sanctioned Arduino, for the Chinese Market.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the price apears to be 40 yuan, or about $8 or $9 USD.

Genuino on Taobao

I’m curious to know is this is the retail price for the Chinese market…

That's great! People are going to end up buying these all over the place. What is the shipping to the USA?

Anyone able to find a shipping section?

I don't think you can buy them and have them shipped out of China. Why would Arduino want to undercut their North American/European pricing?

My point was that the same product is priced differently in different markets.

Genuino Uno: $9 USD
Uno outside of China: $25 USD.

the price will get escalated as the genuino moves outta CHina.

Isn't the whole point of buying Genuino to pay the maximum price the market (in your country) will bear in order to benefit the Arduino project? If you're interested in low price you should buy a clone or build your own based on the free and published designs, but if you're interested in genuine you should pay as much as you can stand to donate and be glad that you did.

dmjlambert:
Isn't the whole point of buying Genuino to pay the maximum price the market (in your country) will bear in order to benefit the Arduino project? If you're interested in low price you should buy a clone or build your own based on the free and published designs, but if you're interested in genuine you should pay as much as you can stand to donate and be glad that you did.

Yes, as far as I understand it, Genuino was created so they could sell the products (outside the US of A) to people as close as possible so the costs would be minimal. If I can buy official boards out side of Eurpoe and specifically Italy (no longer cos of arduino.borg), the shipping drops dramatically.