Arduino getting hot from wall wart

So I have a AC to DC power supply that I put into the barrel jack of my arduino uno.

It is operating at 12V 5A(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FKDK2M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00)

The circuit does work,however the arduino itself gets very hot really quickly.

Is there a way to the the DC end of the power supply but bring the voltage down to maybe 8 volts? I need the amps because this is an LED Strip project.

The problem is unlikely to be with the wall wart. It is much more likely due to you drawing too much current through the Arduino board.

Give the LEDs a separate power supply - or power them directly from the wall wart in parallel with the Arduino.

If that does not make sense then make a pencil drawing showing how everything is connected and post a photo of the drawing.

...R

How do I make it parallel? It comes out as a 2.1mm DC, how do make this parallel?

https://learn.adafruit.com/system/assets/assets/000/002/692/original/led_strips_ledstripfet.gif?1448059609

This is the pcb design from adafruit that I am using

jlukose6:
How do I make it parallel? It comes out as a 2.1mm DC, how do make this parallel?

I would do it with a wire cutter and a soldering iron.

…R
and solder

Robin2: I would do it with a wire cutter and a soldering iron.

...R and solder

You don't have to cut anything to access the voltage from the barrel jack. It's available on the Vin pin.

aarg:
You don’t have to cut anything to access the voltage from the barrel jack. It’s available on the Vin pin.

I think the OP wants to use 5 amps.

…R

Robin2: I think the OP wants to use 5 amps.

...R

Okay, then splice into the wire between the barrel jack and the wall wart. Safer than putzing with the PCB. But I guess if you wanted the power supply to be completely separate from the unit, then there would be no other way than soldering to the PCB. I have seen Y-cables for barrel connections, for guitar stomp boxes.

aarg: Okay, then splice into the wire between the barrel jack and the wall wart.

Just to be clear, that is what I had in mind in Reply #3

...R

Guys, how do you splice?

Also how does a Y cable work? Is it splitting the voltage into two? or is it the same voltage in both

I have been suggesting a DIY Y cable. It shares the voltage and current between the two devices. If you have found a suitable Y cable to buy that should be fine.

Don't read too much into "splice" - it is nothing like what sailors do. It just means joining a second piece of cable to make a Y.

Be careful not to get the positive and GND mixed up.

...R

How is this voltage and current shared exactly?

jlukose6: How is this voltage and current shared exactly?

The same voltage appears at the ends of all the wires - assuming you have good joints that don't cause resistance.

The current draw is deteremined by the device consuming the power. If the total current draw is more than the battery or power supply can provide then the voltage will fall. If you try to draw too much current through a thin wire it will make the wire heat up and, perhaps, melt or start a fire - which is why fuses are used.

I'm sure there are hundreds of online tutorials about the basics of electricity.

...R

Hi,

Can you please post a **COMPLETE **copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Thanks.. Tom...... :)