Arduino GSM examples will not compile

The example GSM>SendSMS (or any GSM examples) came with Arduino does not compile on my Windows Vista. I have tried resintalled the IDE four times (WIndows Install, not the zip file) with no success. The error message I got:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\GSM\GSM3SoftSerial.cpp: In member function 'int GSM3SoftSerial::begin(long int)': C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\GSM\GSM3SoftSerial.cpp:180: error: 'RXPIN' was not declared in this scope C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\GSM\GSM3SoftSerial.cpp: In member function 'void GSM3SoftSerial::setTX()': C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\GSM\GSM3SoftSerial.cpp:276: error: 'TXPIN' was not declared in this scope C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\GSM\GSM3SoftSerial.cpp: In member function 'void GSM3SoftSerial::setRX()': C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\GSM\GSM3SoftSerial.cpp:286: error: 'RXPIN' was not declared in this scope

The IDE worked before with my Arduino GSM shield. Then, it stopped working when I was testing timer. I unplugged my Arduino Uno and the GSM shield and tried only compiling GSM sketch. It will not even compile neither my sketch nor the example sketches on GSM that came with IDE. I have also tried restore my system. No effect.

Please help! Thanks.

Merry Christmas Vegafish, :slight_smile:

The issue is that, you have to tell arduino what pins you are going to use as TX & RX pins (while using softwareSerial library).

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial mySerial( 10, 11); // RX, TX

Change the pin numbers according to your hardware connections.
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial
All the Best…