Arduino GSM Shield and FTP file upload

Hi,
I have a project that is going to be used to log data files and upload those files to an FTP server on a dialy basis. I have done this successfully using the processing IDE on a PC over a network but now neeed to be able to do it using arduino and the arduno GSM shield. I have the GSM library but there is no example code for FTP file transfers, can FTP file transfers be done with the GSM library and if so is there any example code to do this.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

FTP file transfers are tricky.

They are basically TCP/IP connections, so if you can do TCP/IP connections then you can do FTP.

They’re not simple though, as they involve two channels, not one, as you would for most other protocols.

You have the control channel where you send instructions, etc, and then when you want to send the file you open a data channel on another port (the port number is typically decided at run-time). Which end makes the actual data connection depends on the mode of operation of the FTP connection - active or passive.

I would suggest getting to grips with rfc959 which details the FTP protocol.

Hi,
And thanks for the reply - yes i had a look at the FTP protocol but its above my head really - all i want to know is if FTP file transfers can be done using the Arduino GSM Shield and the GSM library that comes with the Arduino environment and if it can be done, is there some example code that i can use to get me started.

For example with the processing IDE i just make use of a library that is dedicated to the task of doing FTP file transfers and this takes all the hardwork out of the process for the user.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.