Arduino guy ran away, need help with project

Hi guys, We have this project that I do the drawing and designing part. Out arduino guy decided he's not into it anymore and none of us has a clue how to make it.

Anyways, in a nutshell we need to use one arduino for two different tracking systems. Just the way this cool guy did http://www.instructables.com/id/Infrared-Tracking-Camera-Mount/ But with a lot more diodes than he used. Let's say ours needs to have a square-ish area filled with diodes. The system recognizes diodes as four equally divided units.

Because the servos he used are too big for us, we want to use 3v motors like this http://shop.rabtron.co.za/catalog/images/MM10.jpg ,at least for the prototype...

So there are two pan-tilt systems and we need to control 4 motors by a shield on one arduino board Our model needs to be compact and small so for that reason, we can't use two different arduinos to control each pan-tilt mechanism

https://learn.adafruit.com/system/assets/assets/000/009/519/medium800/adafruit_products_1438party_LRG.jpg?1396892401 we saw something like this, but we dont have a clue how to make it.

I'd deeply appreciate suggestions and some hints about how we could make this thing work.

Try the "Gigs and Collaborations" sub-forum. (A moderator may have already moved this entire thread.)

sue36: But with a lot more diodes than he used. Let's say ours needs to have a square-ish area filled with diodes. The system recognizes diodes as four equally divided units.

Why is that? All IR leds work together as a single light source. If you need more light (which i cannot see the need for) just get more leds or use brighter ones. If you are trying to do something different you need to specify and analyse that thoroughly.

sue36: Because the servos he used are too big for us, we want to use 3v motors like this http://shop.rabtron.co.za/catalog/images/MM10.jpg ,at least for the prototype...

It is possible to use DC motors for this but since you are using a system without built in closed loop control you will have to provide yout own which increases the complexity by a magnitude or two.

sue36: So there are two pan-tilt systems and we need to control 4 motors by a shield on one arduino board Our model needs to be compact and small so for that reason, we can't use two different arduinos to control each pan-tilt mechanism

I do not understand this either. There are lots of very small arduino compatible boards out there that are fit the job. Running two systems in the same arduino just for the sake of space just ads unnecessary complexity.

as i nunderstand, this instructable has one IR that pulses at a certain frequency. the tracking is just locking on that one and then keeping that in the center by means of the pan/tilt.

not sure how you would track 4 . asuming you would have the camera centered in the geograpic cener of the 4 ?

seems that you need to imput 4 sensors and output to 2 motors.for one camera ?

assuming that you find using two pro-micro or nano too large, and assuming your two cameras are connected at the hip so all wring is locaized on a single unit. then one arduino would be able to handle the 8 inputs and 8 outputs. you are in a good range.

not sure how you ran the engineering to select the drive system gearing, belts and pulleys to arrive at that motor selection.

if you are in a hurry, it might be wise to find a complete motor/gear system. making gears fit a motor is often very time consuming.

fyi they make small and micro tiny servo's too!

It is sounding not surprising the "Arduino guy ran away". :grinning:

Hi, Do you have a circuit diagram already drawn up, so we can see how you have implemented the extra components?

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png or pdf?

Thanks.. Tom....... :)

I'm having trouble understanding this part: "But with a lot more diodes than he used. Let's say ours needs to have a square-ish area filled with diodes. The system recognizes diodes as four equally divided units. " Are you saying you want each camera to follow only one of the four units?!?

Hi again,

Firstly, thanks for he replies, like I mentioned earlier, I'm no electronics person at all, so that's why probably the first try didn't make much sense but let's start over.

So, we actually need the shown system in the link above to control 2 separate cameras.But we don't have space for two different arduinos and batteries, we want to use one arduino board to run 2 pan and tilt mechanisms as I mentioned here. (http://www.instructables.com/id/Infrared-Tracking-Camera-Mount/) The only difference with what this guy did is that, he used one board for one pan&tilt mechanism, we need to put 2 of them in one arduino. The guy demonstrates how to run two ir light tracking systems using one arduino. Probably, we need a motorshield to control servos or motors. For instance, the guy used 2 servos for each ir tracking system, but we need 4 servos to run 2 tracking systems on a single arduino.

We want to place two cameras; one for the top, one for the bottom side of the model(lets say as we would to make a rescue drone).Then, we want to run these two pan and tilt mechanisms which have one camera for each pan&tilt.

For now lets forget about the diode part, that's not the real deal, my bad. Hope that made a little more sense. Appreciate for the help and sorry for the bad description

johnwasser: I'm having trouble understanding this part: "But with a lot more diodes than he used. Let's say ours needs to have a square-ish area filled with diodes. The system recognizes diodes as four equally divided units. " Are you saying you want each camera to follow only one of the four units?!?

‘shown system in the link above’ :relaxed:

So you have one photodiode sensor array running two cameras?
Or two photodiode sensor arrays running two cameras ?

‘The guy demonstrates how to run two ir light tracking systems using one arduino’ did he?

Do you mean, the ‘system’ was the two axes >pan and tilt< - or the ‘system’ is the ‘pan and tilt’ er, system ( ::slight_smile: )

I understand - or at least I hope - this is clear in your head. But unfortunately electronics and programming is an area where you need to be very succinct in your communication, can you see how some of us might read things differently?

Also, I agree I think that little motor is going to cause you more issues implementing that a nano-micro hobby servo would. I also think the original project had some bad design in terms of mechanical considerations…

To exemplify what i mean: https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/18953

why dont you wire 2 arduino pro mini and connect them to one battery in parallel?! i aint no arduino expert so dont take my advice without checking first :D

nilton61: To exemplify what i mean: https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/18953

Those kinds of articulation aren't very kind on the servo bearings at all, also no counterweight to help with all the mass offsets... (Torque)

2DoF Stewart style 'parallel' platforms can be made that reduce these problems to trivial levels. Range is reduced however :slightly_frowning_face:

AnasMalas: why dont you wire 2 arduino pro mini and connect them to one battery in parallel?! i aint no arduino expert so dont take my advice without checking first :D

the OP is adamant that only one will be used.

there is no consideration about ease of use, power, speed of operation. programming, cost, peripherals, etc.

the OP was very clear that the only fixed requirement was to use one arduino.

1:1: Those kinds of articulation aren't very kind on the servo bearings at all, also no counterweight to help with all the mass offsets... (Torque)

2DoF Stewart style 'parallel' platforms can be made that reduce these problems to trivial levels. Range is reduced however :slightly_frowning_face:

weight is unknown, may be a fraction of the rating of the pan tilt. besides the 6 axis platform is way too complicated and completely overkill for a project that will work great with two axis.

dave-in-nj: the OP is adamant that only one will be used.

there is no consideration about ease of use, power, speed of operation. programming, cost, peripherals, etc.

the OP was very clear that the only fixed requirement was to use one arduino.

well. he did say that the reason for not using 2 is the size, and the limitation of place to put them. but 2 pro minis are well below the size of one arduino uno (unless he plans on using lilipads, which is highly unlikely).

he also says that there is no place for 2 batteries, which is why i suggested wiring one battery in parallel to both. in addition 2 of them cost less than 1 uno where i live, so thats a plus.