Arduino Help for Senior Design Project

Hi,

I am new to Arduinos and would like to know if it would be possible to use one in my senior design project. For my project, I have a commercial metal heater called the Lee Precision Production Pot IV (Grey). I am looking to integrate this pot with a micro-controller so that I can implement some safety precautions. I would want to kill the power to the heater after an extended amount of time, have an LCD display to be used with a thermocouple to measure the temperature of the molten material, and to have a safety button to turn the heater off when pressed. Would this be possible to do? Also, would I be able to integrate the power source for the Arduino and the heater into one plug that would work in the standard 120V socket? Also, is there any recommended Arduino I should use along with a retailer who could provide all of the materials needed to complete this?

Thank you,

Brian Gray

It's definitely a feasible project. You can use any Arduino. The Uno is probably the easiest to wire for development.

Maybe buy a starter kit that already comes with some buttons, lcd display and some other stuff.

I can't advise on other components or a retailer.

bcgray: . . . Also, would I be able to integrate the power source for the Arduino and the heater into one plug that would work in the standard 120V socket? . . .

I would say that, initially, you should keep these separate. You'll probably be powering the Arduino either through the USB socket (connected to your PC or a Wallwart) or maybe a 7-12volt supply through the Arduino power jack.

Just bear in mind that the "safety" features must not involve the Arduino except that it must recognise them and not in any way oppose their action.

bcgray: and to have a safety button to turn the heater off when pressed.

The safety button should just be a BIG RED SWITCH that shuts off the power and does not rely on any microprocessor.

...R