Arduino humidity protection for industrial environment

Hello,

I have browsed the site for information about humitity protection of Arduino controller projects.

I carefully read “Arduino durability in industrial environment” and I found it very useful, with a wide diversity of views. I learned a lot from that reading.

My controller is an Arduino based solar autofeeder for cattle. It runs in my farm since one year. No failures. All components, relays, PWM battery charger, etc are enclosed in a good plastic case with orings.

But…

Arduino PCB is intact, no corrosion. The I2C that interfaces the LCD display is showing signs of corrosion.

Question: where can I read about humidity protection ? My instinct points me to a high grade two component enamel, like Glasurit or Basf. But perhaps (or sure) that wheel is already invented !

Thanks for your help, Kind regards, Horacio

Maybe you should insert a dessicant package...

Maybe spray it with WD-40.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating

Thanks for the answers. Very nice art in Wikipedia !

I will go with polyurethane from a world class manufacturer.

Have a nice Sunday !

Horacio

Your description tells me the connections that show corrosion were not cleaned of flux and the flux + moisture in the air let the flux continue to do it's cleaning job. Conformal coating of solder flux will just make things worse.

I saw the same problem with my Mighty Mule electronic gate controller. The controller stayed perfect, but the remote fobs quit working. The problem was the little box with the receiver electronics and antenna had not been cleaned after manufacture. I cleaned it with isopropal alcohol and water (IPA) and it worked for a year. Did it again and this time used a toothbrush and it have worked correctly for at least 5 years. Yes, I did notify the factory of the quality problem. They purchased the antenna part from another company.

So, if you can get to the connections in question, clean them as thoroughly as you can and see what happens in the future. If it occurs again, clean and then paint with clear nail polish, or verithane varnish, which you can get at a pint store or hardware store.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: clean and then paint with clear nail polish,

Do you think colored nail polish would be problematic or less usable? Strange colors quite often sell very cheap IIRC.

Whandall: Do you think colored nail polish would be problematic or less usable? Strange colors quite often sell very cheap IIRC.

More difficult to see through. Avoid metallic. What is available?

Paul

Beware of “black wire corrosion” and any connectors - these are likely to be a problem

I’d go for an air tight box with some desiccant stuff to absorb any moisture .

Paul_KD7HB: More difficult to see through. Avoid metallic. What is available?

I just remembered to have seen baskets of heavily reduced nail polish in multiple in-colors of yesterday.

Whandall: I just remembered to have seen baskets of heavily reduced nail polish in multiple in-colors of yesterday.

Get one that is still liquid!!!!

Paul