Arduino IDE 1.8.3 very slow startup

Why does Arduino IDE take so long to open up? I'm using version 1.8.3, the latest, version (but not the hourly build). It takes 27 seconds where it says "initializing packages". This is on a brand new MacBook, which runs quite fast. I haven't installed any other packages, Ad-one, etc. only a few libraries via the library manager.

I think I remember a report of this sort of thing that turned out to be caused by the package location (shown at the line following File > Preferences > More preferences can be edited directly in the file) being located on a network drive.

I deleted the preferences file and nothing changed. I even deleted everything in the arduino15 file and the Arduino program itself and redown loaded it. It still takes 26 seconds to init packages.
Again, using a brand new MacBook Pro 2016

Hi SouthernAtHeart,

Did you ever sort this thing out? I have the same issue on my Mac after updating Arduino IDE.

On WINDOWS there are a variety of things that can slow down compiles in the IDE.

Most often its an antivirus program or similar security.
The easy and most common fix is to add the Arduino file locations to the security software “exclusions / white list”

Some hints and tips in the attached file.

Arduino troubleshooting made easy.pdf (522 KB)

Okay, an update: I have a new MacBook Pro, less than 6 months old. I did a total clean install of High Sierra, including a hard drive erase, and downloaded Arduino 1.8.5. I didn't change anything, any prefs, or file locations. And it still took 35 seconds to open. About 30 seconds of that was stuff on the "opening packages" With the hard drive reformat, there couldn't be any residual files/prefs from previous installs. Any ideas?

pert: I think I remember a report of this sort of thing that turned out to be caused by the package location (shown at the line following File > Preferences > More preferences can be edited directly in the file) being located on a network drive.

I had experianced slow opening and closing IDE ( one to two minutes) I fix slow opening IDE problem with editing Prefference.txt file Inside where à lot of shortcuts to networks mapped drives. Once the shortcuts deleted, IDE open quickly again ( 20-25 sec and close almost immediatly)

Packages: Is that like all the different boards? I've been using Arduino for years, and the only ones I use are UNO, pro or pro mini, and mega. Could you delete the other packages somewhere in the Arduino files to speed up the startup?

Am having the same problem (on 1.8.5). Using mac. Takes 20-30 seconds to get past the splash screen. Board manager URL have been cleared out.

Same thing here. I've tried fresh installs on 2 different Macs (MacBook Pro running Sierra and iMac running High Sierra). Both stall at "initializing packages..." for about 25 seconds.

I'm having similar issues with my Linux box. If I unplug my ethernet cable and then load the IDE, it fires up in 5 seconds or less. Could you try that and see if it fixes your load time issue?

Just tried disconnecting from internet, but still took 25 seconds in the initializing packages phase of startup. On a new MacBook Pro. IDE 1.8.5

I installed the 1.9 beta release and it launches in about 5 seconds. Whatever the problem is with 1.8, they seem to have fixed it.

what fixed it for me : 1/ in Preferences leave "Additional Boards Manager URLs" empty or 2/ use v1.9 beta

the url I was using was http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json, and initialization was extremely slow : probably because there are a lot of packages in there and I assume th IDE v1.8 tries to dl them all ....

noob here, been having similar issues with version 1.8.9. Damn slow start and access of the menus driving me nuts. Memory usage has been typically 1.2GB for the IDE, which has always been a bit strange to me for what it is doing (3-4 weeks use). Spotted the comment about preferences.txt.

While I had Ardunio IDE running, I popped into the file and had a nosy. Spotted a huge list of ‘recent.sketches’, deleted the contents of the item, saved the file, and restarted Arduino IDE. The startup was quick, much quicker than before and memory usage has dropped back to 350MB, which is still significant, but significantly better.

Looking at the preference.txt file, when Ardunio IDE closed down, it’s resaved the list back into the file. So it’s possible it’s more the rewrite of the file with changes than changing the content that has solved my problem. Quite strange behaviour, but may help those coding find exactly what has been causing this…

jhale716: Spotted a huge list of 'recent.sketches'

How huge of a list? I just tried a test with 10000 items on the list and the difference in memory usage compared to an empty list was less than 1 MB, with no noticeable impact on memory, startup time, or menu performance.

I will say that I see no reason for the behavior of a perpetually increasing list, since only 10 sketches are shown in the Arduino IDE's File > Open Recent menu.

Which operating system are you using?

jhale716: Looking at the preference.txt file, when Ardunio IDE closed down, it's resaved the list back into the file.

Yeah, you need to exit the Arduino IDE if you want to make changes to preferences.txt because it writes the preferences on exit.

jhale716: So it's possible it's more the rewrite of the file with changes than changing the content that has solved my problem. Quite strange behaviour

Very strange. If you clear the list with the Arduino IDE closed, is there any further improvement?

jhale716: but may help those coding find exactly what has been causing this...

Thanks very much for taking the time to report your findings!

I have IDSE 1.8.10 and completely deleted (renamed) preferences.txt and deleted the urls in the IDE preferences. I am running Window 10 on an I7 and still takes an long time to load. If you change the board, takes several seconds before you can change the port. I have a lot of boards loaded since I've been trying out a lot of them, so maybe loading the boards is the problem? Will look for a newer version of the IDE.

@tannenba

That is currently the latest release.

This type of problem can have multiple causes. May I suggest you use the search option provided which will gather up on Google all the relevant information you may need to get beyond a slow startup.

Safe to ignore the actual version of the IDE as the fixes are still relevant.

Bob.

I had the same problem, but solved it this way : (with help from this forum!...) The problem lays in the "preferences.txt" (usually found in C / Users / "yourname" / AppData / Local / Arduino15)

Open this file in a txt editor and save it as "preferences.bak" (for safety) Go down about halfway where it says "recent.sketches=" There you'll see a (long !) list of all the .ino files you used since ??

If there's a file that does not exist anymore, your arduino.exe will take a long time to realize that is isn't there anymore before continuing executing the preferences.txt. If there's a file that you saved on a "cloud", it will try to contact that cloud to see if the file is there or not. Also this can take up a loooooooooong time (especially if the file isn't there anymore)

So : search and DELETE those missing ino's in the preferences.txt and save it at the same place. Your aduino.exe will start again like a rocket ! ;D

PS. I use Windows, but I think that it is the same problem with ANY OS...