Arduino IDE Icon vanished (Ubuntu 18.04)!?!?

I have been using Arduino IDE happily on Ubuntu 18.04 for at least a year now! Amazing IDE! But I just noticed now (4/28/2021) that the icon on the left part of the of my screen has vanished and I have no idea where to search for the executable file for the Arduino IDE in Ubuntu 18.04.
I need to set the clock on my RTC!!

Does anyone know where is the executable? I tried to search in /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin but could not find anything that seemed like an executable.
I did find an file in /usr/share/applications but it in only 383 bytes so that can’t be it…

Oh No! I realized it was in my downloads folder and I deleted it thinking it was the zip file to install the IDE but it was the live executable folder!! Ugh! I think it was 1.8.13…

No worries. You can just download it again from https://www.arduino.cc/en/software/

Thanks, pert! I just got it installed after a few false starts, LOL! I tried to extract the tarball into ~/Arduino

Well, it did NOT like that at all, LOL! So I extracted the tarball to ~/
and now it seems to be running happily despite the error message about not being able to create a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin

Yeah, that is definitely a problem. ~/Arduino is the default sketchbook folder location and the IDE won’t allow the sketchbook folder to be the same as the Arduino IDE installation folder. It is possible to set a custom sketchbook folder location, but probably easiest to just let the IDE have its way.

I’m glad to hear it! I never worry much about installing the IDE the right way. I just extract the file and run the arduino executable directly. Good enough for me.

Praise Yah, I did not have to monkey with the config!! It remembered the esp8266 core and all my libraries and recent files!! It was as if nothing happened!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.