Arduino IDE: Sending data while plotting?

Hey,

I am having the problem that I am trying to program a PID for a selfmade quadcopter. I got stuck at this point so I want to plot the data like incoming gyro and accelerometer data and outgoing p, i and d values. This works fine using the serial plotter of the arduino IDE.
My only problem here is now that I can’t open the serial plotter and monitor at the same time which makes it impossible for me to send commandos using the keyboard to the arduino since there is no input field in the plotter and I cant open the monitor console. Is there a way to use like both at the same time or another way to make inputs and send them to the arduino? All my graphical ploting is quite useless unless I can’t increase or decrease the PID values.

Thanks

Get a USB to TTL serial adapter like a CH340 or FT232 breakout board and connect it to your board so you can have one serial port for the output and one for the input.

The Arduino IDE will only let you select a single serial port per instance so you need to start two instances of the IDE by starting the IDE twice.

But when using the serial monitor I can also have an output while being able to give an input to control the arduino. Shouldn't it be able to solve this problem with software and not with new hardware?

Sure, just find or write some software that plots incoming data and lets you send data also on the same serial port. I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to write in Processing, probably other languages too.

pert: Sure, just find or write some software that plots incoming data and lets you send data also on the same serial port. I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to write in Processing, probably other languages too.

could use matlab, GNU octave, C#, VB.NET, etc

pert: Sure, just find or write some software that plots incoming data and lets you send data also on the same serial port. I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to write in Processing, probably other languages too.

I think the OP refers to the possibility to enter data (Serial.read() ) in the Serial plotter as in Serial Monitor, not reading and writing to Serialmon/Serialplot simultaneous.

Sending data to Serialplotter while having an tekst input field similar to Serial monitor in the top of Serial plotter seems to be doable, or do I misunderstand things?

The option to do so would be very convenient: type in parameters for a PID controller and see the effects on the plotter immediately.