Arduino IDE SLOOWWW while verifying

Wow this is a strange one. I have used all Arduino IDE versions for years now. Never saw this.

Suddenly this symptom: - Verify ANYTHING from Blink to others I have finished log ago - Starts compiling and seems to hang at "9 bars" - EVENTUALLY completes over 1-2 minutes later.

Win7 64Bit Same for 0023, 1.02, 1.04 !

This was always fast before, like 3 to 5 seconds for most sketches.

Reboot, same symptom.

Anyone seen this? Ideas?? THANKS!

I have not seen this but remember someone on here posting same problem and finding it was due to Zone Alarm. Maybe some AV update has crippled your speed. Might be worth cleaning out your User\LoginName\AppData\Local\Temp folder as it soon fils with built sketches.

Hi Thanks for the ideas.....

Cleaned a LOT out of that temp folder, lots of Arduino builds..

Tried moving to a very minimum sketchbook with empty libraries..

Temporarily disabled AV (ESET)

BLINK still takes 80 seconds to Verify :0

Not sure if I should make a seperate thread but I'm having the same problem except I'm using windows 8. I've downloaded the enhance version and am in windows 7 compatibility mode but nothing seems to work. Takes at least 5 minutes to verify the blink file

Hi, Anyone else heard of this?? Should this be reported to Arduino Development somehow??

Another XP system: Blink runs 4 seconds Another Win7 system: Blink runs 2 seconds!

WhaZZup???

Google "Process Monitor". Run that utility and verify your code. Check the times for the events, you will notice why is taking so long. Maybe is something with permissions or another process do something.

Hi, I installed Process Monitor. Still not understanding it well... I did find a couple of resident programs using some time and uninstalled them but no change in Verify time.

Any pointers on using Process Monitor to zero in on IDE operation???

Any chance that the JVM is having memory allocation problems? It would result in a lot of work from the garbage collector, which is as near real time as a Java process can be.

One way to verify this would be to run the compilation program from the command line (first select "show verbose output" in the arduino preferences, then open a command window and give the same command). If it is a Java issue the process from the command line should be fast. And if it is a Java issue there are startup parameters that can/should be changed, something like -Xms -Xmx.

terryking228: Hi, I installed Process Monitor. Still not understanding it well... I did find a couple of resident programs using some time and uninstalled them but no change in Verify time.

Any pointers on using Process Monitor to zero in on IDE operation???

First, you start arduino, then start the capture in process monitor. Do something and stop procmon and start analizing the events from the bottom. It is not something I can explain with precise steps, because procmon allows you to see everything, hence debug every problem you have... so there is no a generic step/step guide to follow.

An easy way is to capture a healthy system and compare, doing the same compilation.

If you want, send me the capture file (better if is a short one, only about the problem itself) and I can take a look.

Any chance that the JVM is having memory allocation problems?

Oh… I think JAVA was recently updated. Does Arduino install its own Java?? I suspect it does, as there is no real ‘Install’, right? Hmmm…

Can you tell me more about how to run a compilation from command line? Would this be done after the sketch is loaded in regular IDE window?

@eried, I’ll dig into Process Monitor more… Thanks!

Weird: Two other machines are nice and fast, and this one USED to be real fast. Sudden change…

terryking228: Oh.. I think JAVA was recently updated. Does Arduino install its own Java?? I suspect it does, as there is no real 'Install', right? Hmmm..

Can you tell me more about how to run a compilation from command line? Would this be done after the sketch is loaded in regular IDE window?

About Java, I'm not a Windows user but I believe that on Windows the IDE installs its own version... but then at startup it looks for a suitable JVM in the system, which may not be the one it installed. For more information you may try and go to the "\Program Files\Arduino" directory (the directory where arduino.exe is installed) and run:

arduino.exe --lj4-debug

Then use the IDE normally. The option will create a debug file (in the current directory or perhaps on your desktop) with more information on the JVM version used, and maybe some message about memory usage.

As for the verbose output, in the IDE Preferences window there are two checkboxes, "Show verbose output during compilation/upload". If you check the compilation and verify a sketch you get the verbose log. The first lines (until the name of the cpp.o files) are the command that you can copy and paste at the command prompt (all in the same line); on a Mac it looks like this:

/Developer/Arduino-1.0.4.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall 
-fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD 
-DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=104 
-I/Developer/Arduino-1.0.4.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino 
-I/Developer/Arduino-1.0.4.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/variants/standard /var/folders/zU/zUIcUauoE-8JVQIrDq1mzE+++TI/-Tmp-/build137034000532069435.tmp/Blink.cpp 
-o /var/folders/zU/zUIcUauoE-8JVQIrDq1mzE+++TI/-Tmp-/build137034000532069435.tmp/Blink.cpp.o

Hi again, OK, I pasted this into RUN:

C:\Users\TerryKing\Desktop\ArduinoDev\arduino-1.0.4\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD -DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=104 -IC:\Users\TerryKing\Desktop\ArduinoDev\arduino-1.0.4\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -IC:\Users\TerryKing\Desktop\ArduinoDev\arduino-1.0.4\hardware\arduino\variants\standard C:\Users\TERRYK~1\AppData\Local\Temp\build3729445569812395917.tmp\Blink.cpp -o

It ran so fast it barely blinked on the screen.

The verbose output from a regular run is here:(Won't fit in a post) http://yourduino.com/docs/TK_Verbose.txt

I did a run with the "arduino.exe --lj4-debug" but I did not find a log file anywhere??

THANKS for your patience with this.. I'd just like to understand it for the future (And FIX it Now..)

Hi, if the problem is of Java on Windows (as it seems) I'm afraid I cannot be of much help. The most common issue I've seen around is that during startup the IDE picks up a 64bit JVM, while it should run on a 32bit JVM. The RXTXcomm.jar Java library is usually the source of conflict -- it's in the IDE's package but is also part of the standard Java distribution. The memory allocation issue seems less likely, since the problem occurs also with very small sketches such as Blink.

The log file that should be created by the --lj4-debug option should give more information about these version issues. I don't remember it's name or location (debug.lj4, debug.log? on a Mac I see the log information printed on screen, no file is created). Please try again, or search this forum for clues.

As for solutions, some people were successful by moving the Arduino program directory to the root of the disk (e.g., C:\arduino-1.0.4). You may prefer trying with a new installation without touching the existing one. I would prefer a more robust startup command that wold start the IDE using the paths (executable and Java) I decide, without letting it pick up the first thing it finds.

Times i have had this problem it ended up that is it was after installing a bluetooth device, I disabled bluetooth and the problem went away, installed it and the problem came back, something to do with ports

P18F4550: Times i have had this problem it ended up that is it was after installing a bluetooth device, I disabled bluetooth and the problem went away, installed it and the problem came back, something to do with ports

If the problem is BT: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html

BTW, the log file (assuming it's created) should be named launch4j.log.

The most common issue I've seen around is that during startup the IDE picks up a 64bit JVM, while it should run on a 32bit JVM. The RXTXcomm.jar Java library is usually the source of conflict -- it's in the IDE's package but is also part of the standard Java distribution.

WhatIf I uninstall Java ?? I see "Java 17 update 11 (64 bit)" on my installed programs... Hmmm..

terryking228:

The most common issue I've seen around is that during startup the IDE picks up a 64bit JVM, while it should run on a 32bit JVM. The RXTXcomm.jar Java library is usually the source of conflict -- it's in the IDE's package but is also part of the standard Java distribution.

WhatIf I uninstall Java ?? I see "Java 17 update 11 (64 bit)" on my installed programs... Hmmm..

Well yes, I wouldn't dare suggest it because who knows, maybe your whole projects database and e-commerce website run on a Java application on that system. But if you have no use for the 64bit version you can safely uninstall it.

terryking228, just to unveil the secrets of this problem, maybe you can give me TeamViewer/VNC access to check process monitor on your machine.