Arduino IDE slows down computer - A Java problem?

After running the Arduino IDE, Ver. 1.8.5, for a period of time, my entire PC slows down to a crawl. I'm running Windows 7, Pro.

When I look at the Process Explorer, I see that the Java process for one of the sketches I'm running is using upwards of 50% of the CPU resources. When I look at the Java process path it shows "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\java\bin\javaw.exe. If I close that sketch, the PC operation returns to normal. I can re-open the same sketch an run with for a while without the slow down, however, the slow down eventually returns.. The problem doesn't seem related to a specific sketch, just the java process.

The release file in the java folder indicates "JAVA_VERSION="1.8.0_144""

Any thoughts on troubleshooting the problem?

Initial thought is check your security and add the IDE installation locations to the whitelist/exclusions to start with.

There have also been similar reports so second suggestion is to read a few more posts and try things others have.
There is a search option at the top of the page for you to do that with.

Other suggestions tend to do with Sketches folder location which should really be on a local drive and NOT a network or removable drive.