arduino IDE stopped working on Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic

Everything was fine, but some system software update could have messed it... Can somebody help me? The console shows the following attempting to start arduino IDE.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: processing/app/Base Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: processing.app.Base at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:323) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:268) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:336) Could not find the main class: processing.app.Base. Program will exit.

Thanks in advance, Mario.

All solutions to similar problems come from ubuntu 64 bits !!! mine is 32. I would like to read any comment before attempting one of those solutions... Thanks again.

Hi, my arduino-0017 32bit still works fine after the upgrade to 9.10! Looks like the IDE is not started from the directory where the arduino is installed.

Open a console-window and cd into the directory where you installed the IDE and run the arduino script

cd [Home/user]/your-install-dir/arduino-0017
./arduino

If that works you can create a small script

#!/bin/sh
cd ~/arduino-0017      
./arduino

that does this for you and a desktop link to run it.

Eberhard

Still does not work... After trying your suggestion I get the following:

mario@portatilmario:~/arduino-0017$ ./arduino Experimental: JNI_OnLoad called.

Stable Library

Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7 Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7

Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks a lot for your help... Mario.

:o Funny!! It works only runing from installed directory and typing sudo first...

Cmario@portatilmario:~/arduino-0017$ sudo ./arduino Experimental: JNI_OnLoad called.

Stable Library

Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7 Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7

and then, the arduino window comes up... I am a newbie, of course, but could somebody typeme someting about what has happened? Thanks to all.

Hi, have you installed the IDE under a different user-id or as root?

You have to update the owner-ship of the files that are installed. In a console window you set the owner ship of all the IDE-files in all subdirs of arduino-0017 to user "mario" with

cd ~/arduino-0017
sudo chown -R mario.mario ./

Now all the files are owned by user "mario" and you should be able to run the IDE as "mario"

Eberhard