Arduino IDE verify speed much better in Ubuntu than Win7

I'm finding the build process, from source to hex, about 30 times slower in Win7 64 bit on my laptop than it is in Ubuntu 13.04. The problem does not exist if I use AVR Studio 6. Is this a known issue or is there likely to be a fault with my Win7 installation? Each verify of the same file takes the same time, as though each one is a make clean? I would like a link to the build process that the IDE uses.

I believe the usual culprit is anti-virus software.

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and Rapport. I've turned off MSE real time protection, but it makes no difference. I've enabled verbose output in compilation and noticed that all files are created in Temp/. Is this a standard default setting? All object files are being created every time??

cjcj1949: I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and Rapport. I've turned off MSE real time protection, but it makes no difference. I've enabled verbose output in compilation and noticed that all files are created in Temp/. Is this a standard default setting? All object files are being created every time??

I remember reading in another thread that Rapport was the culprit.

cjcj1949: I've enabled verbose output in compilation and noticed that all files are created in Temp/. Is this a standard default setting?

Yes.

All object files are being created every time??

No. (Assuming you have a recent version of the IDE.)

They are being created every time. As they are in temp they have a different file name each time.

cjcj1949: They are being created every time.

Which indicates you have an older version of the IDE. Or a problem specific to your computer.

As they are in temp they have a different file name each time.

Huh?

How do I track down the problem? I'm using 1.0.5. I've been trying to find the IDE documentation that will tell me what happens during verify.

I'm not sure why the thread has been moved. Anyway. I've reloaded the IDE using the windows installer.

The first build takes about 45 seconds and lots of standard files are compiled. It seems unique file names are used for each object. Subsequent builds now only recompile the .ino file and takes a reasonable time for a laptop. Amd64 is mentioned in the download, I have Intel64. The system I will be using is a six processor AMD64 and will hopefully be quicker.

If in doubt reinstall seems to work.

Thanks for the help.

Try excluding the temp folder from your antivirus.

cjcj1949: I'm not sure why the thread has been moved.

Don't know either. I've moved it back.

Anyway. I've reloaded the IDE using the windows installer. If in doubt reinstall seems to work. Thanks for the help.

I'm glad you have it working. Thank you for the follow-up.