Arduino IDE with ESP8266 build environment recompiles everything every time

I recently updated to the 1.8.5 IDE and the 2.4.2 ESP8266 module. It used to be that when I'd change a file it would just rebuild that file (unless it was a .h in which case it would do the right dependency builds). But now it rebuilds everything, including the entire ESP core.

It also has odd behavior when uploading. It sits there for a while and then spews a bunch of output and is in the middle of the upload.

Has something changed in the IDE or do I have a corrupt environment or something?

cmarrin:
I recently updated to the 1.8.5 IDE and the 2.4.2 ESP8266 module. It used to be that when I'd change a file it would just rebuild that file (unless it was a .h in which case it would do the right dependency builds). But now it rebuilds everything, including the entire ESP core.

That's a known problem with the ESP8266 core for Arduino. It should be fixed on the next release.

cmarrin:
It also has odd behavior when uploading. It sits there for a while and then spews a bunch of output and is in the middle of the upload.

Where is the output being spewed? What is the output?

We love “spews a bunch of output”
So much can often be deducted from spew.

If you copy and paste it back here please use code tags to do so ( </> )