ARDUINO INSIDE A PINGPONG BALL [ for IMAGE CAPTURE and STORAGE]

Greetings I would like to build 2 Pongsats (both interacting with each other) One for Image Capture and the other for Storage

Now i am confused with which arduino board,camera,transmitter receiver,battery and memory slot to use. for arduino board i was thinking of using Arduino mini Does arduino fio fit in the pingpong ball ? if it does xbee will be a good add on.

for the Tx Rx will the bluetooth like this be good https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kytelabs/bleduino-bluetooth-40-ble-made-easy-arduino-compat/description

or this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1608192864/rfduino-iphone-bluetooth-40-arduino-compatible-boa/description

Hoping that you would be giving me better suggestions to continue this project. Many Thanks

What is a Pongsat (do you have a link to it?) Do you know whether a Pongsat can deal with images?

An Arduino generally does not have enough power to deal with images.

...R

hi Robin2 JP Aerospace offers a free trip to near space, and back, for a payload the size of a table tennis ball, a so called PongSat.

I guess these links will be self explanatory

KICKSTARTER 1ST EXPEDETION

KICKSTARTER 2ND EXPEDITION

BRIEF INTRO OF THE COMPANY

THE USER MANUAL

Interesting idea.

To fit inside a ping-pong ball you would need to use an Atemga MCU without any Arduino board. If it must be powered by a battery also inside the ball you will need to be very careful about energy usage.

I don't think an Arduino MCU could do any useful image capture. What do you want to get pictures of?

Also, can you ensure that a camera in your ball would get a clear view from amongst all the other balls?

I think if this was my Thread I would change to title to "Arduino inside a ping-pong ball" so as to get the idea across to more readers quickly. If you edit your original Post you can change the title. Of course it's your decision.

...R

Table tennis has had several changes to the rules and regulations of the sport, introduced in years 2000 and 2001, one of which is the increase in ball diameter from 38mm to 40mm in year 2000.

So a card 38 mm in diameter, roughly a 25 or 26mm square card, with several stacked up with decreasing sze as you got away from the middle of the ball. Maybe 2 that are nearly full diameter in the middle, back to back, getting smaller as you go out. Could fit quite a bit of electronics in there. Maybe a square LiPo in the middle, with cards on both sides of it.

Maybe two CR2450, 3V/600mA coin cells, in the upper 10cm of the ball, leaving ~22mm for a 3-4 card stack of cards underneath it. http://www.tenergy.com/40009

Think Big Small!

PingPongBall cards.jpg

Hi, I'm not sure but I think the OP believes that the pongsat pictures came from a pongsat. The pictures came from a camera mounted on the pongsat payload carrier.

We need people with ideas that are way out there, as this one of the ways we advance concepts, but an arduino with all the peripherals to run let alone a camera and batteries is stretching it a bit, today.

We may have to wait a couple of weeks to a couple of months for the affordable technology needed to float down to us at grass roots level to let us do it.

If a gastric tablet containing a camera that is used these days is to go by, it won't take long.

We gotta keep dreaming guys.

Tom..... :) (with a device in his arm that means he doesn't need a cannula )

Robin2: Interesting idea.

To fit inside a ping-pong ball you would need to use an Atemga MCU without any Arduino board. If it must be powered by a battery also inside the ball you will need to be very careful about energy usage.

I don't think an Arduino MCU could do any useful image capture. What do you want to get pictures of?

Also, can you ensure that a camera in your ball would get a clear view from amongst all the other balls?

I think if this was my Thread I would change to title to "Arduino inside a ping-pong ball" so as to get the idea across to more readers quickly. If you edit your original Post you can change the title. Of course it's your decision.

...R

Hi Robin2 As per your advise i changed the thread to "Arduino inside a ping-pong ball" :) Ill answer your questions one by one 1. What must i take the photo of ? --- well i would just need the photos of the space (i am not expecting a clear photo though) just photos of elevation is enough.

I had messaged the pong sat team, how long the journey would be and this is what they had to say "Flights last about 2 hours. I would recommend putting the system in sleep mode for the first 45 mins and using a altimeter to turn the camera on a 15,000 meters" i was thinking we could start (at 15000 meters) taking photos from the start till the end on an interval of 1 min

2.a clear view from amongst all the other balls?--- Yes i believe upon request they would place the ball separately to get a good view

TomGeorge: , I'm not sure but I think the OP believes that the pongsat pictures came from a pongsat.

Hi tomGeorge :) I am aware that the photos were taken with a better camera mounted on the carrier. But just for experimentation i just need a photo. as i mentioned before i am not expecting a good quality photo.

I am concentrating and interested to know abt 1. the technical needs and standards involved for communication between the Pongs. 2.the technical needs and the standards involved of several possible technical solutions, taking care of the particular circumstances, for * Camera with lense * Storage of the images Thanks for the power suggestion CrossRoads

CrossRoads: Think Big Small!

I think the first thing to do is identify a camera that will fit inside your PingPong ball.
As well as small size you will have to make decisions about the quality of the image. From an Arduino point of view the fewer pixels the better. And, are you content with a monochrome image?

Sorry, I have no suggestions to make.

People put cameras in very small quadcopter type drones - maybe one of them would be suitable.

It would probably be best if the camera captured the images to its own microSD card so that the Arduino had no part in image saving. The Arduino could be responsible for “pressing the button” to take pictures. That way you could probably get by with an Attiny.

I’m not quite sure why you want two PingPong balls?
If you only have one there is no need for the complexity and extra hardware needed for communication.

If you really do need two balls is there any objection to having a wire connecting them? That would be the easiest way to communicate. It would also allow them to share a power source. Perhaps they could even be glued together?

…R

Robin2: I think the first thing to do is identify a camera that will fit inside your PingPong ball.

Turns out that should be fairly easy! (Concept example only!)

And there are some small Arduinox!

Of course, the Arduino does not do anything with the image, just trips the camera.

Look what i found pong sat parts

i hope this covers most of the items required now only a good camera is required. any suggestions?