arduino interfacing car seat motors

Hi, my knowledge with electronics is just basic and im working on a fun project to control a power car seat's motors . there is no controller with the seat, so i presume i can use arduino with H-bridge ( im only interested in moving forward/backwards , recline etc.. ) .. my questions : 1- not much information on the motors other than its Bosch (i.e bosch 130002625 ) at 12 volts.. it has 4 wires , 2 thick , 2 thin ( i assume the latter are Hall sensors , i can ignore them ? ) 2- what's the PS current i need to use and be on the safe side given no info of the motors ? 3- shall i use a relay board , maybe 2 relays for each motor or H-bridge can work ( any recommendations ) ?

Many thanks and sorry for newbie questions :)

alainkazan: Hi, my knowledge with electronics is just basic and im working on a fun project to control a power car seat's motors . there is no controller with the seat, so i presume i can use arduino with H-bridge ( im only interested in moving forward/backwards , recline etc.. ) .. my questions : 1- not much information on the motors other than its Bosch (i.e bosch 130002625 ) at 12 volts.. it has 4 wires , 2 thick , 2 thin ( i assume the latter are Hall sensors , i can ignore them ? ) 2- what's the PS current i need to use and be on the safe side given no info of the motors ? 3- shall i use a relay board , maybe 2 relays for each motor or H-bridge can work ( any recommendations ) ?

Many thanks and sorry for newbie questions :)

Do the motors run when you apply 12 volts? Do the reverse direction if you reverse the connections? You do have a 12 volt car battery, don't you?

Measure the resistance of the motor and use Ohms law to compute the current needed to start the motor moving. That will tell you the minimum current needed for a power supply for that one motor.

That will get you started.

Paul

Thanks Paul , will do that .. any idea about the hall sensors , their use in such application .. are they analog or digital usually , so I know how to read them in arduino ?

alainkazan: Thanks Paul , will do that .. any idea about the hall sensors , their use in such application .. are they analog or digital usually , so I know how to read them in arduino ?

What does your Ohmmeter show? Try the test leads both directions, in case the hidden device is polarity sensitive. Run the motor while testing.

Paul

alainkazan: Thanks Paul , will do that .. any idea about the hall sensors , their use in such application .. are they analog or digital usually , so I know how to read them in arduino ?

Can't be a hall sensor with only two wires. Probably endstop detection switch?

Thanks for your feedbacks .. is there a safe way to check ( if so any thought how to interface with arduino ? )

Multimeter is the usual tool of investigation...