Arduino Irrigation System

Hi,

I am no expert yet on electronics and so far from some Internet research I have sourced the following components for a project that I want to do.

L7806CV 6V Voltage Regulator
1N4001 Diode
PN2222A Transistor
3V 5W Peristaltic Pump

I am assuming that I can power the mini pump which is 3V directly from the board (5V) by adding some resistors.

Can someone help me with a circuit diagram of how I can connect the pump to the arduino? I just need to control it on and off depending on the moisture sensor level (I already have the moisture sensor working).

Thanks,
Kevin

IMG_20170928_181542.jpg

What's your power source? (You don't need a 6V regulator.)

I am assuming that I can power the mini pump which is 3V directly from the board (5V) by adding some resistors.

No. You need a 3V power source (or a 3V regulator) and a driver circuit, both capable of more than 1 Amp (5W at 3V is 1.67 Amps).

You'll need something "bigger" than a 2N2222, and unless you're using a pair of 1.5V batteries you'll need a 3V voltage regulator.

[u]Here[/u] is a transistor driver circuit and [u]here[/u] is a similar MOSFET driver. In your case, either of these circuits would be connected to 3V as required by your pump.

If you're building a 3V voltage regulator you should build a switching regulator (which is a bit more complicated and requires an inductor). A linear regulator (such as the LM7806) will usually overheat if you try to get 1A or more out of it (depending on how much voltage you're "dropping" across the regulator and depending on the heatsink you're using). ...I don't think they make a 7803 (3V version) but you can get similar "adjustable" regulators. [/color]

My goal is to power the circuit with batteries 6V or maybe even 9V. I want to make it as small and portable as possible.

Thanks for the information given - will have to do some more research and spend some learning time before getting back with some more questions hehehe :)