Arduino/ L298N/ 24V Stepper motor - all seems like it should work but it doesn't

Hi,
I am trying to run a stepper motor with an Arduino Uno. I really have no Arduino experience (but some with Raspberry Pi). I wired it up like this: Arduino/L298N/stepper motor - Album on Imgur
Multimeter voltage readings indicate that a max of 33V is leaving the AC to DC converter (however I can lower this with a pontetiometer).

I uploaded this code to the arduino:

/* Example sketch to control a stepper motor with L298N motor driver, Arduino UNO and AccelStepper.h library. Contiuous rotation. More info: https://www.makerguides.com */

// Include the AccelStepper library:
#include <AccelStepper.h>

// Define the AccelStepper interface type:
#define MotorInterfaceType 4

// Create a new instance of the AccelStepper class:
AccelStepper stepper = AccelStepper(MotorInterfaceType, 8, 9, 10, 11);

void setup() {
  // Set the maximum speed in steps per second:
  stepper.setMaxSpeed(1000);
}

void loop() {
  // Set the speed of the motor in steps per second:
  stepper.setSpeed(500);
  // Step the motor with constant speed as set by setSpeed():
  stepper.runSpeed();
}

Which I got from a tutorial: https://www.makerguides.com/l298n-stepper-motor-arduino-tutorial/

When the power is on, the stepper motor makes some noise but the peristaltic pump it controls does not activate. That is with and without the arduino attached (so I conclude that the Arduino is not able to arbitrate the power flow).

I’m not really sure what could be the issue - I’ve checked the wiring, and tried comparing my set up to other tutorials.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Your real issue is in not telling us how much current the AC/DC converter can supply. You need several amps if your system uses 24 volts.

Paul

With incomplete information the best that we can do is incomplete help. Please provide a data sheet for the stepper and the L298 driver.

The L298 is ancient and inefficient technology. They are, by modern standards, crappy DC motor drivers and even worse stepper drivers.