Arduino Leonardo (Nova Kit) USB Device Unrecognised

Hi guys, so I bought a Nova Board, http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1003 which is essentially a leonardo board but much smaller, although mostly everything is the exact same. So before I was using it to obtain accelerometer values (on board accelerometer) and save it to an EEPROM. Now that was working great, so I turned off my comp and a few hours later I tried it again and it kept saying “USB Device unrecognized” after unplugging it and plugging it back in like 10 times it started working perfectly again.

I then reinstalled my sketch and logged that data with my battery (which is also part of the board) until the battery sort of ran out and then I placed it back on my computer to read my data from the EEPROM. After reading all the data I re uploaded my logging sketch and now its back to “USB Device Unrecognized” and I can’t think of any reason of why this has happened :(. I’ve only used basic arduino code, TWI for the EEPROM and the timer libraries. The only thing I can think of is I may have used the narcoleptic http://code.google.com/p/narcoleptic/ library the second time although I’m not 100 percent sure whether I did or not and I know I didn’t use it the first time I had this problem so I’m not too sure if it has anything to do with it.

I read one case online where someone had to reinstall the leonardo boot loader after having the same problem, although he didn’t know why, but he said it worked fine from then onwards. Do you think thats a good idea? Or would there be another reason this has happened?

Thanks

You have 'works / don't work / works / don't work' syndrome.

You didn't mention laptop pr PC. If PC try back panel USB port rather than front panel. Regardless of PC or laptop try different ports. Sometimes one port responds 'better' than another.

Also swap USB cables.

jbarchuk: You have 'works / don't work / works / don't work' syndrome.

You didn't mention laptop pr PC. If PC try back panel USB port rather than front panel. Regardless of PC or laptop try different ports. Sometimes one port responds 'better' than another.

Also swap USB cables.

Agreed, thats sort of making it difficult to pinpoint, because anything that I think would be the reason for this, wouldn't make sense because at the same time it has worked using the same thing.

I don't have a normal PC, but I did try it on both my laptop and my hybrid tablet, and my friends apple laptop with the same problems. I've also tried 3 different cables as well, but unfortunately no luck so far.

Oh OK then you do know how to do the usual troubleshooting stuff. (I forgot to mention the 'other PC' thing.)

How about this. Unplug all shields/wires and put in just one led/resistor. The next time you manage to get it connected, immediately reprogram it with nothing but a Hello World Blinkie sketch. Then try a few reconnects. If that doesn't work -reliably- then it might indicate -either- a bad board, -or- some other more fundamental software incompatibility. Basically, keep stepping backward till you find something that works, then step forward till it fails again..

jbarchuk: Oh OK then you do know how to do the usual troubleshooting stuff. (I forgot to mention the 'other PC' thing.)

How about this. Unplug all shields/wires and put in just one led/resistor. The next time you manage to get it connected, immediately reprogram it with nothing but a Hello World Blinkie sketch. Then try a few reconnects. If that doesn't work -reliably- then it might indicate -either- a bad board, -or- some other more fundamental software incompatibility. Basically, keep stepping backward till you find something that works, then step forward till it fails again..

The problem is, ever since the second time its happened I haven't been able to get it to work again, but just now I just reburnt the bootloader onto the board using the arduino uno as an ISP, and its finally working perfectly :D yay yay, I'm not too sure if this will be like the first time it happened where randomly it stopped working again. But at least its something. Never been so happy to see a little LED blink :P lol. ---------------edit-------------

Its back to doing it again!! NOOOO =( =( =( =( =( =( =(

trustnoone: Its back to doing it again!! NOOOO =( =( =( =( =( =( =(

!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Any socketed chips on the board? Remove and reseat them.

Inspect for bad solder joint. all it takes is one to create a noise element.

The USB connection, the one component that you can't change is the board connector. Inspect that.

And when I say inspect I mean magnifier, from every angle possible.

jbarchuk:

trustnoone: Its back to doing it again!! NOOOO =( =( =( =( =( =( =(

!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Any socketed chips on the board? Remove and reseat them.

Inspect for bad solder joint. all it takes is one to create a noise element.

The USB connection, the one component that you can't change is the board connector. Inspect that.

And when I say inspect I mean magnifier, from every angle possible.

Nothing socketed at all, its all just one complete board, theres not even a reset button. Thats a good idea though, if something is the matter it will be something like that. Its working again now :D Although I have no idea for how long. Hopefully will be able to get a magnifying glass out tomorrow and have a look through it all. Cheers heaps mate. I appreciate it :D!!