arduino Lipo tester

Hello,
I’m working on a 6s lipo tester that works with nrf24l01. I use a fake Arduino Nano and a pcb. The problem is the overheating of arduino. I tryed to modify the schematic eliminating 12 v linear regulator and using 2s voltage (8.4v) directly for Vin but the overheating appears again. I use different setup for voltage partition: before with <1mA per cell and after with 2/4 mA.

bms.zip (33.3 KB)

Hi,

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".
OR
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.
Then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Some forum members do not like opening zip files.
If you are posting a schematic, please EXPORT it from your CAD as a jpg and attach it to your next post.

Tom... :slight_smile:

I’m working on a 6s lipo tester that works with nrf24l01. I use a fake Arduino Nano and a pcb. The problem is the overheating of arduino. I tryed to modify the schematic eliminating 12 v linear regulator and using 2s voltage (8.4v) directly for Vin but the overheating appears again. I use different setup for voltage partition: before with <1mA per cell and after with 2/4 mA.

Forgive me for asking but do you have any electronics training or formal education ?

I'm a biomedical engineer with basic knowledge of electrical engineering and electronics.
I attached the image of schematic

The resistor values would be helpful in attempting to diagnose the issue.

What about a LiPo are you trying to test ?

It’s not clear from your post what part of the Arduino is overheating. I will assume the onboard Vreg?

Try moving the 3.3v Vreg [powering the nRF radio] input from the 5v output of the Nano to the output of the 12v Vreg. This will transfer the burden of heat dissipation from the Nano’s regulator to the external 3.3v regulator. Arduino voltage regulators are not designed to power much in the way of external devices.
S.

Hi,
What is the value of Vin that you are feeding the 7812 regulator input?
Why not use a DC-DC converter instead with 5V output and feed that to the Nano 5V pin, that way you avoid using the very low power regulator on the Nano.

Have you worked out the voltage resolution you have at each analog input pin.
Component values would be appreciated.

TIP: Put some LEDs and their current limit resistors in your project to indicate the the various powersupply are ON, such as one for the 3V3 and the 5V supply rails.
This will help when prototyping and they can be left out in final production if desired.

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

I use a 6s lipo 12 Ah and these are the resistors value of the last attempt removing 12 voltage regulator and feedind Arduino Vin with 8.4 v:
Cell. Resistors. Voltage
S1 No res. 4.2
S2. 1k:2k. 8.4
S3. 1.2k:3.6k. 12.6.
S4. 910k:2.7k. 16.8
S5. 2.2k:9.1k. 21
S6. 1.5k:7.5k. 25.2

I will try to feed 3.3 regulator with lipo 2s cell

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.