Arduino logging and polling over Ethernet

Hi!

I am trying to design a simple and reliable controller device for a remote location that can not be accessed for many months during a year.
It must record several values like various currents, temperatures and voltages and make some on site critical decisions based on that data. It must send aquired data over IP (Ethernet) to a mainland server for further processing and analyzing.
Power consumption must be as small as possible, thus continuos operation is not possible with ethernet chip powered all the time.
Arduino should regularily pick up data from mainland server on which its behaviour is determined. Basically it is a time table where working times of various devices are described depending on various conditions.

Tha main problem for me is how to make arduino to send and request data over ethernet. MySQL sounds pretty good for that. There are some examples. But it sound pretty complex too.
Is there any simpler way? Like sending and requiring files over ftp?
I haven't found any ftp client for Arduino yet.

Tha main problem for me is how to make arduino to send and request data over ethernet. MySQL sounds pretty good for that.

MySQL is a relational database. It has nothing to do with sending and requesting data over ethernet.

There are client and server examples for the Arduino with ethernet shield, using HTTP protocol, to send or receive data. Have you tried the client example(s)?

check this thread:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1256853252

I am trying to design a simple and reliable controller device for a remote location that can not be accessed for many months during a year.

It must send aquired data over IP (Ethernet) to a mainland server for further processing and analyzing.
Power consumption must be as small as possible

So the arduino will be working in a remote area without any electricity, but not too far away from the next telephone line to connect to your server through a modem????

Strange scenario

Eberhard

I have read more with the help of google. I feel like HTTP PUT and GET could be more easier way.
Also Pachube could be worth to investigate more closely.

It could sound strange, but yea. There is no electricity except wind and solar electricity. It is a tiny island that is not accessible by any reasonable means during winter time when ice is moving around.
Still, it has an internet connection over a radiolink. 2Mb/s symmetric.

What's powering the internet connection? That was the question. Can you tap that same power for the Arduino?

yes, the same powersource that feeds internet connection, will feed arduino. Arduino is the last device to be disconnected from power. And it should wake time to time to sense if power conditions have got better, if yes, then wake internet connection first to report conditions and take orders from mainland server.