Arduino Long Range Wireless Transmitter to PC

My idea is to have multiple GPS trackers that will report live locations to a computer program I am designing using Visual Studios (C# programming).

The purpose will be to track football players’ movements and field locations, displaying them on the computer program.

I considered using bluetooth (such as HC-05), but some devices could be 200+ metres from the computer trying to receive the data.

I have looked at modules such as the HC-12, but I believe each transmitter needs a receiver and having 11+ receivers hooked up to one computer seems excessive.

I have thought about using WiFi modules, however as they will be on a field or in a stadium, WiFi reliability would potentially be an issue.

Is my idea feasible? Could anyone recommend a method of transmitting the data from the arduino to the computer wirelessly over longer (200m+) distances?

Thank you!

a DTMF decoder module work ,but a cellphone is required to all the 11th player on the field, to transmit the data.

Before we get too far into the details, please confirm that you have already designed and tested where each player will carry the electronics and battery supply and it’s safety and player safety has been confirmed.
Paul

What is a DTMF decoder module? Sorry I’m a newbie with this.

A cellphone for each player would make it too costly and too big a product.

I’ve designed and tested a simple GPS module that saves the data to a micro SD card. This is something that can fit into the palm of your hand. That also includes the battery.

Some companies use these devices and secure them with a vest and are similar sizes (Here is an example).

While I was wondering if this is possible, it will also depend on size so that it won’t impact player safety.

Would it be possible to use NRF24L01? Something similar to the example below? It will be inside a plastic case, would that affect transmission signals?

NRF24s typically have about the same performance as HC-05 Bluetooth, but it could be fine if you have the high powered version at the base station. That version has a proper antenna and, since you have line of sight, may be good for a kilometer.

1 Like

Yeah instead of NRF24L01 or for longer range you better go with HC12 or lora
All the best man
Lucky

1 Like

One issue its eseential to consider is that you need to operate the system legally.

NRF24s are cheap, but the basic model has limited range, the power out is only 0dBm maximum. The higher power version (for the players transmitter) may be seen as a solution in some circumstances but in a lot of places in the World your limited to 10dBm max power in the license excempt 2.4Ghz band.

Now the max power you could therefore use for the ‘high power’ NRF24s is circa 7dBm, which will only get you around twice the distance as the basic NRF24, probably a bit more with a better antenna.

However, The basic model NRF24 might be enough, especially if the base station antenna is located on a high vantage point.

And then there is duty cycle limits, for such a device you can be limited to only transmitting 1% or maybe 10% of the time in the UHF bands, so for them to be considered you need to know how much information are you wanting to transmit and how often ?

In the 2.4Ghz band (NRF24 etc) there is usually no duty cycle limit, so you can usually transmit much more data than you can at UHF.

1 Like

Thanks.

Firstly, how can you tell the difference between a high powered version and a low powered version? Is it just the antenna? So this (LINK) would be a high powered version and this (LINK) would be a low powered version?

I also saw that a maximum of 6 NRF24s can communicate, so if I have a team of 11 players does that mean it won’t be possible for all 11 to feedback to one high powered version?

Sorry if these seem like basic questions, I’m still learning about this.

Thanks.

I was considering HC12s, but they only communicate 1-to-1 (correct me if I’m wrong) so I would need 11-14 receivers on one arduino microcontroller.

I’ve not heard of Lora, but it seems like the same problem of multiple transmitters at the same time (LoRa multiple transmitter to single receiver).

wait a while i will just help you out , i need to complete my online test
My man
With regard Lucky

1 Like

Thanks, so much information to digest!

The vantage point of the base station antenna may vary depending on the location. It could be at pitch level (where the GPS modules will be) or in a stadium stand several metres above the pitch.

The individual GPS modules (11 or more) will be transmitting at the same time their longitude and latitude. While the amount of data will be small, it will be doing it frequently (possibly every second or two).

Please say you are convinced that garden variety GPS will give you accurate enough position location to make the data you collect useful.

When you say you are, please use some words that make it sound like you have done some research and have found that the position (and velocity) of a GPS fix is adequate.

Otherwise it just sounds like a dream.

You may detect some pessimism in my remarks.

Have you done any simple experiments?

How far can a football player move in a second or two?

a7

2 Likes

To get a unit such as that past all the required regulatory and safety requirements would likely cost many 10s of thousands of pounds\dollars\euros.

Are you prepared to invest such sums for the project ?

How many are you planning to make ?

1 Like

I’ve tested the GT-U7 GPS, but only by going out for a walk to see if it works. The next test is to see how accurate it is by recording the data on the micro SD card and viewing the results on a Google Map view.

I am expecting it to vary quite a bit in accuracy depending on the surroundings, such as walking in an open park and a busy street with buildings close by. I know I will most likely need a much better GPS module for accuracy.

I understand your pessimism and I am pessimistic about the idea as well, but this is as much about pushing boundaries and seeing what is possible.

I honestly never considered making it a commercial product and selling it, so I never thought about regulations.

This idea/project is half me wanting to help out a local academy and wanting to see what is/isn’t possible while also learning more and more about electronics.

I was planning on making 2-3 to start with to test and find what was possible.

Excellent. This will tell you quite a bit. Do some running around like a football player…

I did something along these lines before the elimination of SA (selective availability), and I will tell you that laying your data points out graphically will either be inspiring or depressing…

If you’ve got your heart set on GPS and NRF24L02 kinda solution, continue with relatively cheap and easy tests of feasibility.

If your goal is something remarkable by way of tracking a football team in real time, I suggest you back up a step and consider other techniques.

And what of the opposing team? Having only data for your team seems like it mightn’t
be much use.

Knowing nothing more than that there has been amazing progress in the field, I wonder aloud so to speak whether you might get further faster with the project by using cameras and image processing. And probably a bit more horsepower than an UNO gives you.

Please share what you can of your experience!

a7

1 Like

There would be ways and means of making the radio link work, and even a test system has to comply with legal requirements.

The prime performance to address, is I suggest, whether you get adequate position accuracy from the GPSs.

It might not be acceptable if the players are shown to be off the pitch, when they are on it, or far apart when in reality they are kicking each other in the shins.

1 Like

I can’t find my high-power version, but I’m sure it is all down to the antenna. You only need the high power on a base station.

[quote=“davechapperz, post:9, topic:855665”]
I also saw that a maximum of 6 NRF24s can communicate, so if I have a team of 11 players does that mean it won’t be possible for all 11 to feedback to one high powered version?
[/quote]This is correct but
https://www.insidegadgets.com/2013/06/09/nrf24-multi-network-allowing-for-255-addresses/
show a nifty work- around where a swag share a slot but their data includes a station identification. I have never actually done this.(!)

1 Like

BUT they cannot transmit more than a single NRF24 at a time. Were you thinking something else?
Paul

1 Like