Arduino, loop back test failed + not in sync errors - SOLVED

So i bought this arduino from deal extreme, it doesn't work on my PC or my brothers, both windows 8 It's marketed as a UNO but as another user states, it's a Duemilanove, it also says Duemilanove on the board itself but a 32 or 16 i don't know which. So far, i've been trying both 32 and 16 for my troubleshooting. The chip says ATmega328 on it, even with the board changed the error persists http://aud.dx.com/product/arduino-uno-starter-kit-961126383#.UhLlDZL-Hzx

When i try to upload a blank script (nothing but setup and loop functions) it gives me this nasty, but common error avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 The lights are flashing constantly but when i press upload the pause for a second and the RX led lights up, the TX led does not. Certain i'm using the correct com port as when i remove the device the associated com port stops displaying on the device manager. Furthermore, i couldn't get the loop-back test to work. I put the cables where they needed to be but didn't see anything come out in the serial monitor and i couldn't find any videos of somebody performing a loop back test on youtube (maybe you could be the first)

In regards to the failed loop back test. Both RX and TX leds light up but there is no return to the serial monitor.

SOLVED Solution was to use a windows XP virtual machine and install the drivers in the arduino folder rather then windows 8's pre installed drivers.

just checking to see if this is right. Everybodies arduinos show up as an arduino in the device manager, mine shows up as a USB serial port

I have a feeling that the driver is wrong but when i try to change it to any of the following i get a page fault BSOD

• 1 x Ardaino Duemilanove control

There's the problem. They sold you an Ardaino instead of an Arduino.

... another user states, it's a Due... The chip says ATmega328 on it...

It is [u]not[/u] a Due. It is either an Uno or a Duemilanove.

If the board really is an Uno compatible board, the driver is most certainly not from FTDI. If the board is a Duemilanove compatible board then the driver is from FTDI. Use the Uno pictures on this site to determine which it is.

I'm willing to try out any suggestions.

Get your money back. Stop doing business with irreputable people.

There's the problem. They sold you an Ardaino instead of an Arduino.

It says Arduino on the chip. Googled Aradino and for 13k results with all of the results being unrelated. The board is manufactured for a distributor called Aroboto Studio and then redistributed by DealExtreme. you can browse the Aroboto website yourself. http://aroboto.com/shop/ it seems pretty legit but then again, navigating the website is hard and i can't find my board on it because i don't speak chinese. I conclude that Ardaino is obviously a typo, i doubt many of the employees working at deal extreme are native english speakers but i'll bring this up with them.

... another user states, it's a Due... The chip says ATmega328 on it...

It is [u]not[/u] a Due. It is either an Uno or a Duemilanove.

It's a duemilanove. I assumed that Due and Duemilanove were the same board. The other user said it's a duemilanove too.

The product was stated as being a UNO when it's a Duemilanove. So what we're dealing with here is a Duemilanove with a ATmega382 chip on it. Can you confirm that i've got the correct driver?

the driver sould be a driver for the ft232 chip (ftdi)
if that one is installed then you only need to select the correct board and com port and it sould work

meerweten: the driver sould be a driver for the ft232 chip (ftdi) if that one is installed then you only need to select the correct board and com port and it sould work

It's still not working, i've got pictures up of what driver i'm using and version details. I'm using the correct COM port and the board is set to 'Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328' Still not working

mrSilkie: The board is manufactured for a distributor called Aroboto Studio and then redistributed by DealExtreme. you can browse the Aroboto website yourself. http://aroboto.com/shop/ it seems pretty legit...

"aroboto" appears no where on that dealextreme page. "aroboto" appears no where on dealextreme. "dealextreme" appears no where on the ARoboto.com website.

...but then again, navigating the website is hard and i can't find my board on it because i don't speak chinese.

Speaking Chinese is irrelevant. Google and ARoboto's search both work.

It is quite clear from the image you posted and the image on ARoboto's website that the boards are different.

You did not buy a genuine Arduino. You bought a cheap Chinese clone.

So what we're dealing with here is a Duemilanove with a ATmega382 chip on it. Can you confirm that i've got the correct driver?

See Reply #2.

Your chip is most likely dead, or does not have the Bootloader installed. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=183446.0;topicseen

mr Coding Badly.
It says Aroboto Studio on the back of the chip, you’ve only seen the front.
You’re being really unfair.
Arduino is open source, anybody on the face of the planet with the required knowledge and resources can make an arduino. I’m certain that the people in asia are competent in replicating the arduino chips especially if they’re capable of recreating some of the most ingenious fakes on the planet. You have to understand that almost anything made nowadays has been manufactured in asia, including your computer and the majority of the components inside. Just because my chip hasn’t been manufactured in italy or doesn’t have an official arduino label on it doesn’t make it any less of an arduino.

the board is most likely dead.
The bootloader seems fine from what i’ve been told to look out for. The chip lights up, blinks and when i send data the RX light flashes.
I’ll be sending dealextreme a message. :frowning:

...it seems pretty legit...

mrSilkie: You're being really unfair.

I am "being really unfair" because you are claiming your defective board was made by the Arduino folks when it quite clearly was not.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73748.0 ...pass or fail?

loop back test failed, followed the instructions to the letter and still not getting an echo in the serial monitor. Also, for other users this thread here has been giving me alot of information on the board http://www.adafruit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=32823

I'm sending it back and getting a replacement, i'm certain i was just given a dud. I know it wasn't made by the arduino makers in italy but then again, the schematics to make the board are publicly available so anybody in the world can make the exact same product, china just seems to be where labor and parts are cheapest. What i'm trying to say is that i don't need to source my arduino from italy to get an arduino.

mrSilkie: What i'm trying to say is that i don't need to source my arduino from italy to get an arduino.

Ahh but that is where you are partly mistaken. Can they duplicate it - sure. as you pointed out anybody can. However that does not mean that they use comparable components and it defiantly does not mean the Chip is from Atmel. Even if it says that it is. They can be re-label. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/9831 https://www.sparkfun.com/news/364 https://www.sparkfun.com/news/395

Yes there are other compatible Arduino boards but if they are not an "official" Arduino Board than be prepared for frustration and failures. That's all CodingBadly is trying to tell you. It's buyer beware. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Products?from=Main.Hardware

If they replace it, then great! maybe they will replace that one too ;)

i’ll buy my next arduino (might need a mega for our thousands of christmas lights) from a more reputable source, but everybody seems to have good luck with the majority of their boards on deal extreme. They are about half the price however.

@mrSilkie,

I have exactly the same issue here with a chinese Arduino Nano V3.0 clone under Windows 8 and USB3.0. I get the same error message you got and I couldn’t find a fix for days.

HOWEVER: Today I ran Ubuntu 12.10 from an old Notebook (USB2.0!), installed the Arduino IDE and voilà, the Arduino is perfectly accessible, gets programmed in just a few seconds and runs happily the “blink” sketch. Even the serial monitor works just fine.

I just downloaded the “live CD” version of Ubuntu 13.04, burned the image to a USB flash drive, booted it up, installed the Arduino IDE and it works like a charm as well. → My Arduino is alive for sure.

I don’t know yet, if the FTDI Driver ver2.8.30.0, which gets automatically installed in Windows 8 is the root cause of the trouble I face, or if it is the USB3.0 socket on my PC or a combination of both.

Cheers

Thank you very much, i don't have a spare drive so i'll have to use virtualisation to achieve this but i will defininately give it a try. Everything on the chip seems to work it just won't load the sketches. Sending things back is always a huge effort so that is a last resort

HOLY SHIT It actually worked, using a windows xp virtual machine and manually installing the drivers actually made the arduino work. THANK YOU SO MUCH

Next step is to uninstall the crappy drivers in my windows 8 installation and install the ones from the arduino directroy

If that works under Windows 8, please let us know! Especially which drivers and which driver version you used in order to get to work.

mrSilkie: Thank you very much, i don't have a spare drive so i'll have to use virtualisation to achieve this but i will defininately give it a try. Everything on the chip seems to work it just won't load the sketches. Sending things back is always a huge effort so that is a last resort

you don't need a seperate drive to install multiple operation systems, the only thing you need to do for it i partition your hdd (ubuntu will do this for you)

i deduced that it's either A, the system architecture. The VM is 32 bit whilst windows 8 is 64, this could also change the drivers B, the operating system's preloaded drivers. I'm certain that windows 8 comes with preloaded drivers for arduino, i'm running some older drivers that i couldn't get to work with windows 8 as it was very pushy about having the latest and greatest drivers installed.

Once again, i urge everybody to give it a go, even if it's a last resort to download windows xp 32 bit and VMbox (free, get the extension pack(free) or you won't be able to use USB 2.0) and try it on that system.