Arduino+Max7--> works on Mac but NOTon PC :(

Hello there,

I`m an arts student from Germany and I am working on a soundinstallation right now, where there is a photo sensor, Arduino and Max 7 involved. Everything works fine when I am doing this on a Mac (I tried 2 different ones), whereas on the 2 PCs (both 64 Bit) I tried, Arduino is in fact identified as a Port, but all numbers stay with 0. For an excibition that starts in 10 days I have only a PC available...

I would be really happy to hear if you have any idea what could be the problem here :) !

Greetings from South Germany, Lena

We can help you, I'm sure. But we will need far more information from you. Your description of the problem is too vague and ambiguous. We need schematic diagrams and your code, error messages and links to descriptions of important components. Please read the "please read" post at the top of the forum section to find out how to post code, links and pics.

What is a "Max 7"? Did you mean max7219 or max7221?

What do you mean by "all numbers stay with 0"?

Ok :slight_smile:

Max7 is this program: https://cycling74.com/
I made this Patch (see attached photo 01) with it.

When I work on a Mac, where there is the number “0” in the patch (on the left side on the photo) numbers move up and down - depending on to how much light the photo sensor, that is connected to the Arduino, is exposed.

Whereas when I work on a PC, nothing happens and it stays “0”. The Max program then also tells me, that “a specified port is not available” (see attached picture 01)

|500x281

|500x281

Ok. This is being to sound like it is not an Arduino problem, but a Windows vs. Mac problem.

Have you reprogrammed the Arduino between when it was working on Mac and not working on Windows?

The Max program then also tells me, that "a specified port is not available"

What did that screen look like on Mac?

Ok,
No, we then didn`t reprogramm it.

I don`t have the Mac here with me right now to check since it was borrowed, but I think there was just no red lines showing an error (2nd Photo I sent).

Here as an attachement of 3 photos Im sending the Code with which we worked. I hope its not too confusing - the 3rd photo shows mainly the content of the 2nd, except for the last lines, which are new.

Please read the "please read" post at the top of the forum section to find out how to post code in the future. Screen shots are not the way! But in this case I think we know that the Arduino code is not the problem anyway, because it worked ok with the Mac and has not been re-programmed after that. The problem must lie with the configuration of Windows or the Max7 software. Unfortunately I do not use either. I can only suggest that you check the serial speed had been set correctly to the 115200 figure shown in the Arduino code.