Arduino Mega 2560 and using a USB shield with the serial ports

first off, the USB shield I was looking at is retired in the Arduino store (https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-usb-host-shield. is there a product like that one still available? from another seller maybe?

the more pressing question is I am using 2 RFID readers connected to a single mega 2560. one of the readers is connected to pin 17, the other is connected to pin 19, and both are connected in parallel to pin 13 for reset, GND and power pins. if I get one of these USB shields, will it work in basically the same way? I'm not adverse to reprogramming, I just want to make sure ti will still be possible to send the info through the COM ports located on pin 17 and 19. you can look in my forum history to get more context, although I don't think it is necessary. all help is greatly appreciated.

Whar's Youre desire for a shield? A Mega has 4 serial ports if I'm not wrong.

I've been having a ton of issues with soldering basically. I am working to make an easily modular system, and while everything works now, I think a USB shield will make life easier for users down the road.

Try a google of USB Host shield, it comes up with many hits.
You want one that has the MAX3421E USB controller on it. The Arduino controls it via SPI commands, the chip then does the USB master part of the interfacing.
These guys I think were one of the early developers with it, from what I recall.
https://chome.nerpa.tech/arduino_usb_host_shield_projects/
https://chome.nerpa.tech/mcu/usb-host-shield-library-version-2-0-released/

would you be able to explain more? I mostly program with matlab, arduino is a bit more of a mystery. would I be looking at a rewrite of my code? like I said, don’t know arduino particularly well. below is the code I am currently using, note it does exactly what I need it to. any info coming from pin 17 gets reader 8 concatenated, pin 19 gets reader 9 concatenated.

int RFIDResetPin = 13;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial1.begin(9600);
  Serial2.begin(9600);
  pinMode(RFIDResetPin, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(RFIDResetPin, HIGH);
}

void loop() {

char tagString1[13];
  int index = 0;
  boolean reading1 = false;
  boolean reading2 = false;
  ///////////////////////////////////////
  //this reads from the reader installed
  //on serial1, which is pin 19
  //////////////////////////////////////
  while (Serial1.available() > 0) {

int readByte1 = Serial1.read(); //read next available byte

if (readByte1 == 2) reading1 = true;
    if (readByte1 == 3) reading1 = false;

if (reading1 && readByte1 != 2 && readByte1 != 10 && readByte1 != 13) {
      tagString1[index] = readByte1;
      index++;
    }
  }
  Serial.println(String("Reader 7: ") + tagString1); //the tag itself

delay(1);
  clearTag(tagString1); //Clear the char of all value
  resetReader(); //reset the RFID reader
  //////////////////////////////////////////////////
  // This bit reads from serial2, located on pin 17
  /////////////////////////////////////////////////
  while (Serial2.available() > 0) {

int readByte2 = Serial2.read();

if (readByte2 == 2) reading2 = true;
    if (readByte2 == 3) reading2 = false;

if (reading2 && readByte2 != 2 && readByte2 != 10 && readByte2 != 13) {
      tagString1[index] = readByte2;
      index++;
    }
  }
  Serial.println(String("Reader 8: ") + tagString1);

clearTag(tagString1);
  resetReader();
}

void resetReader() {
  ///////////////////////////////////
  //Reset the RFID reader to read again.
  digitalWrite(RFIDResetPin, LOW);
  digitalWrite(RFIDResetPin, HIGH);
  delay(150);
}

void clearTag(char one[]) {
  //clear the char array by filling with null – ASCII 0
  //Will think same tag has been read otherwise
  for (int i = 0; i < strlen(one); i++) {
    one[i] = 0;
  }
}

Avram_Alter:
I've been having a ton of issues with soldering basically. I am working to make an easily modular system, and while everything works now, I think a USB shield will make life easier for users down the road.

if you have trouble soldering do a web search for Prototype Screw/Terminal Block Shield Board Kit For Arduino MEGA 2560 and breadboard screw terminals

horace:
if you have trouble soldering do a web search for Prototype Screw/Terminal Block Shield Board Kit For Arduino MEGA 2560 and breadboard screw terminals

It's less that I don't know how to solder, and more that when we solder our system, it just stops working. it works with no problem on a temporary breadboard, once we try to solder it all on a perma-proto board, it stops working. We are currently looking at using one of these guys, and soldering line through the pin holes it has. However, we could make the system more modular by using the USB port instead, so I want to know if there is a way to hook up 2 usb shields to a single arduino mega