Arduino Mega 2560 R3 damaged 16U2 chip, FTDI board doesn't upload sketch

Hi guys, I have an Arduino Mega 2560 R3 and somehow I've damaged the 16u2 chip. It was getting very hot when connecting to USB port so I've now removed it altogether.

I would like to upload sketches using the FTDI board I have, I have connected it to the Mega board like I would connect to an Arduino Pro Mini. I however cannot upload any sketches to it. It seems like it doesn't auto reset.

I've connected a 100nF capacitor between the RESET pin of the Mega and the DTR pin of the FTDI board but still nothing.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Did you try manual reset button at beginning of upload process to see if the FTDI upload works? It may take multiple tries to get the timing right.

My recommendations:
Cut the Reset-EN trace on the Mega board to remove the existing auto-reset circuitry (the onboard 100nF cap) between the old 16U2 pad and ATmega2560.
Burn a fresh bootloader on the ATmega2560 using an ISP programmer or another Arduino as ISP.

dmjlambert:
Did you try manual reset button at beginning of upload process to see if the FTDI upload works? It may take multiple tries to get the timing right.

My recommendations:
Cut the Reset-EN trace on the Mega board to remove the existing auto-reset circuitry (the onboard 100nF cap) between the old 16U2 pad and ATmega2560.
Burn a fresh bootloader on the ATmega2560 using an ISP programmer or another Arduino as ISP.

Yes I've tried the manual reset many times and it doesn't work.

I've cut the RESET-EN trace also.

I have also burnt a fresh bootloader.

None of the above resolve the issue :frowning:

Hmmm, Well if you're up for it, just start throwing us a bunch more info:
Details about how you burned the bootloader, step by step including commands used on the command line including fuse settings, or options picked in the IDE.
Can you upload a sketch using ISP with the menu option Sketch (or File), Upload Using Programmer?
If so, can you "blink" D0 and D1 pins and see that an attached LED with resistor blink? (that would make sure the serial pins did not get damaged on the Mega when your 16U2 got cooked)
Can you upload a sketch via ISP which sends and receives serial info with Serial Monitor through the FTDI
Photos of how you have it hooked up which show clearly how the wiring is hooked up.
What voltage readings do you get from a multimeter connected to the on 5V and GND pins?
Did you try the loop back test for your FTDI board?
Does your FTDI successfully upload to another undamaged Mega or Uno board with the same hookup?
Select in the IDE preferences show verbose output on upload and show full results of an attempted upload.
Troubleshoot like crazy, man! And let us know how it goes.
And finally (don't spend too much time on it) what are your prospects for getting a fresh Mega2560 clone board for around $10? :slight_smile:

Oh, I guess I meant $5.99USD shipping included. I didn't realize they dropped in price some more.

Hi,

We have had some of these boards manufactured for us for some of our products, so we can't purchase any clones.

I burnt the bootloader using Arduino 1.6.4. I have a USBTiny ICSP programmer. I just chose the correct programmer and correct board and hit "Burn Bootloader".

After the burn is done I have tested the board by uploading a few sketches using the USBTiny by clicking "Upload Using Programmer". All the sketches including Serial print sketches work fine.

D0 and D1 pins also blink an LED without any issues.

I get 5 volts when tested with a voltmeter connected to 5V and GND pins.

I have tried the loop back test for the FTDI board and it's fine.

FTDI board uploads fine to another Mega with the same setup.

Here is the Verbose output:-
D:\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CD:\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega2560 -cstk500v2 -P\.\COM237 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\MATINK~1\AppData\Local\Temp\build5009109125002451877.tmp\sketch_sep12a.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "D:\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \.\COM237
Using Programmer : stk500v2
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14]
avrdude: Recv: . [00]
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

2 things come to mind: I seem to recall in the far reaches of my memory a USBTiny can't address the full memory of ATmega2560 properly, so I suggest burning the bootloader with another Arduino as ISP using the ArduinoISP example sketch and the Tools, Programmer selection "Arduino as ISP". And once you upload a sketch via ISP, it erases the bootloader, so following an experiment like that you would have to re-burn the bootloader.

Just tried and burnt the bootloader with another Arduino Mega 2560 and now all is working as it should :smiley:

Thanks for all your help.