Arduino Mega ADK and WiFi

Hi there,

i'm new to the arduino-subjects but would like to ask three question, i'd bet you can easily help me :slight_smile:

I'd like to communicate with an Android-Device and an mega ADK board.
I'm not sure if (for example) the following would work as described as a plug-n-play-solution:
http://www.asynclabs.com/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=26&category_id=6&vmcchk=1

The next question is if i can use any android-devices for communcating via WiFi with the board? Or do i need specific devices?

Finally....
how does the WiFi-connection work? I mean,... do i have to get both - board and device - into the same Wifi-Network or is there an possibility to let them communicate via an ad-hoc-wifi or any other kind of peer-to-peer-network?

Hope you don't labeled me as an idiot, like i said above i'm new in this subject :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Julian

In my limited research:

I don't know about the WiShield, but the the WiFly shield supports ad-hoc networking. See this post:
http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28581&p=128588&hilit=wifly+adhoc#p128588''

You can get both devices (Arduino and 'droid) on the same wifi network, or you can use AdHoc mode on the Arduino and connect directly do that from the 'droid. In essence, it's the same thing - both devices are on the same wifi network.

As for the Android devices, it depends on how you want to communicate. If you're going to use an app, the device will need to be able to run it. If you're going to use something like an HTML page delivered by the Arduino, then any 'droid should manage.

Well, first of all thx for your reply :slight_smile:

As for the Android devices, it depends on how you want to communicate. If you're going to use an app, the device will need to be able to run it. If you're going to use something like an HTML page delivered by the Arduino, then any 'droid should manage.

I'd like to use an app, so the device needs to be able to run "it". Which points shall i take into account?
The app first of all should only steer a system, perhaps some kinds of little robots.

Your starting point will probably be looking for any existing Arduino or other remote control apps for Android. If you’re writing your own Anrdoid app then you’re way ahead of my expertise in this area!

Damn :slight_smile:

I gonna write my own one, however i’ll just try it ^^ we’ll see what happens 8)

Hi,

I’m also doing a similar project as yours, but I’m stuck since Android doesn’t support ashoc Wifi networks. So were u able to overcome this?

Thanks

You're correct; standard Android OS doesn't support connecting to an ad-hoc network, I didn't know that when I suggested it as a solution. It's a software limitation, not hardware so if you're prepared to root a device there are assorted guidelines around.