Arduino mega and RS-485 module

I have a question about the use of RS485 with an arduino mega. There are plenty of examples where people use an uno, and the softwareSerial library. I am using a mega, so I do not need the extra serial ports to be software based. My question is, can I just connect the RO and the DI pin directly to the Tx1, and Rx1 pins? also, does the module simple take a serial input then send it via RS-485 protocol, or is there more to it than that? This may be a "Duh" answer, but I can't find much on the internet about the use of RS-485 with the mega.

the sample program RS485softwareSerial will work on the mega

to modify code to use the hardware serial port Serial1 and connect it

//SoftwareSerial RS485Serial(SSerialRX, SSerialTX); // RX, TX
#define RS485Serial Serial1   // hardware serial port on Mega
// connect RS485 DI and RO to Mega Serial1
//   Serial Receive pin 19  to RO
//   Serial Transmit pin 18 to DI

tactfulyeti:
can I just connect the RO and the DI pin directly to the Tx1, and Rx1 pins? also, does the module simple take a serial input then send it via RS-485 protocol, or is there more to it than that?

yes you can connect other TXn/RXn directly to RO/DI. Please keep in mind, that if you are using a three wire connection/ half duplex you also need to wire DE/RE to one separate PIN of the MEGA to switch between receive and send.

Please be carefull - there are some Chinese MEGA clones where one TXn/RXn is swapt on the silk layer - so if transmission/send is not working try to connect according the pcb layout - not the printed numbering on the silk layer.

And one more thing: talking about RS485 you are not talking about a specific protokoll. RS485 describes the electrical attributes of the serial interface. RS-485 - Wikipedia
It's up to you to define the protocoll for the transmission.