Arduino Mega and Xbee Communication

Hello,

I am using 2 sets of Arduino Mega/XBee Series 1 w/ shields. I have one Mega/XBee set (field) powered by a battery transmitting data back to the other Mega/XBee set (Coordinator). The Coordinator is connected to my computer via the USB/Serial connection.

The Field set has no connection to any device other than the XBee and my analog inputs/grounds. The 2 sets of connectors on the shield are set to XBEE.

The Coordinator is connected to my computer as stated above and the 2 sets of connectors on the shield are set to USB. I have also tried setting the 2 connectors to XBEE with the same following result.

The issue I am having is that the Coordinator set does not send any data back to my computer until I hold down the reset button on the board. As long as I hold down the reset button the system will work as I want it.

Here is what I have tried:

VIA USB

• I have made a simple program adding a number by 1 each scan.
    -I connected the Mega to my computer w/out the Xbee and the data was presented in the serial monitor as it should.
    -I tried the same thing with the Xbee attached (I tried the 2 sets of connectors in either position) and the data was presented as it should.

It seems to me that there is interference when the Xbee on the Coordinator is transmitting the data to my Coordinator Mega.
BUT WHY DOES IT WORK WHEN THE RESET ON THE MEGA IS HELD DOWN?????

I'm missing links to the used hardware.