Arduino Mega Boot / Connection problems

Hi all,

I just got my Arduino Mega but can't get it boot (unsure) and when I try to upload a program I get "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding".

Here is what I have: - Arduino Mega - Arduino Sketchpad 0016 - x86 linux

Here is what I did: - I'd been using an Arduino Duemilanove with Sketchpad 0012 - plugged the MEGA into my Linux laptop USB - refactored one of my programs a little - tried to load it to the board (I forgot to change the board type in Sketchpad) (oops) and got programmer not responding message - downloaded Sketchpad 0016, unzipped it and ran the arduino script - set the board type to Mega - tried to load my program (any program) - get "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

Observations: - when I first plugged the board in and ever since, the status led labeled "L" on the board repeatedly blinks about 4 times per second with the 4th blink of every cycle lasting twice as long as the other three. - the rx led on the board faintly blinks a few times when I try to upload program - the tx led on the board never blinks during upload - PWR led is on - pressing S1 (reset switch???) causes the status led to stop blinking during switch press and then resume pattern on release

Help. I need to get this going for a project that's due next week. I hope I'm just an idiot and my board isn't bad. :( Please tell me I'm an idiot and next to burn, download, whatever.

Thanks,

~b

Sounds like the same problem we were having over here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1243607033

There's an incorrect capacitor on the reset line which causes it not to properly reset when sending a sketch. Pressing the reset button will work you just have to time it right.

Did you find a solution to this problem? I’m having the same problem, and the timing of resets suggested here does not seem to work.

Is this a problem on all Arduino Mega? In case not how can I see if I have the wrong capacitor or not? I'm having exactly the same problem.

Well, here is what I did. I contacted the store where I bought the Mega and told them that there seems to be a bad batch of Megas out there. They wrote back and said that my device could be in that batch, and I would only have to ship it back and they would send a new one. Hopefully, that will make things better.

I have no idea how to see on the Mega whether it has a wrong cap or not. I just know that what works for my other Arduino boards does not work for the Mega. That means broken to me.

-J