Arduino mega projects

Hello guys , were having a project using arduino mega 2560 , our professor said that we have to develop an arduino project that benefits the environment or the university. i finished searching some projects in hackster.io and arduino.cc but arduino mega has only 118 projects , projects that uses android phones etc are not allowed , vb.net are the only program we need to use if the projects needs an interface. Home automation is already developed by 4th year students, i'm already 3rd year student.
My questions are:
1.Can you guys give me some projects that uses arduino mega that can benefit the environment?
2.I see some interesting arduino uno projects , can i use arduino mega to replace that arduino uno board?
Thanks guys for anwering my question ! :slight_smile: thank you

You can always use a Mega to replace a Uno. It just has more pins and more memory. This means that you may not replace a Mega with a Uno or, if you do, perhaps you should have used a Uno in the first place.

An Android phone is an excellent partner for Arduino, particularly for environmental work in the field as recorder, terminal, or even graphic display. Those that disallowed their use either have their head in the sand and need to be brought into the 21st century before it is too late, or are intent on re-inventing the wheel. You should protest this, otherwise somebody else might, and you could be the one who will look like he doesn't know what he is doing.

The most obvious environmental projects will be about the weather, but if you trawl through this forum you should find a few recent posts about gas monitoring. These could be not only more interesting, but easier. All you need is to get, and understand, the sensor, and the rest is mostly routine for Arduino.

Hi sir nick ! android phones are not allowed because were not studying android for now im 3rd year student , 4th year student are allowed because for their capstone project :slight_smile: only vb.net for 3rd year students.
Smoke Detection using MQ-2 Gas Sensor - Hackster.io this thread uses arduino uno , i want to rework this using mega , is any incompability will happen if i reworkit? thanks for reply sir nick ! i appreciated your reply :slight_smile:

I wasn't expecting you to study Android, I was expecting you to simply use it as a tool. That is what normal people do. This is done with the application of an app written by somebody else, rather than applying a thesis on how it works. You need to be aware that, for datalogging in the field, Arduihno, Android, and Bluetooth are a ménage à trois made in heaven.

The project you note is "for Uno" only inasmuch that that is all that is needed, not that it won't work on anything else, and no reworking is required to use it on a Mega. All this means is that the Mega is seriously under-employed, but that doesn't matter as the project can be expanded to to record the data, display it on LCD, broadcast it over the internet, download to a device, (yes, Android), and God knows what all else. By the time you have done all that, you might be glad you have a Mega because the Uno will probably look rather undersized.

Although I know nothing about it, that sensor is exactly what I was talking about. What I had in mind was monitoring fugitive nasty stuff like methane from coal seam gas wells and other stuff where you might get to do something controversial, rather than just measuring boring rainfall and windspeed.

C'mon! Use an android! Skip a grade - didn't you watch Star Trek?

Using Android will impress your teacher only iff you clearly demonstrate that you understand the advantages of a Mega over a Uno. So what can a Mega do that a Uno can't? It has more memory (flash, sram, and EEPROM), and it has many more pins available. This includes specialty pins, for example, the Mega has two hardware serial connections.

Use these, and then go further than your class has covered. If your teacher penalizes you for doing that, find another teacher.

How about you monitor several environmental parameters in multiple locations, such as a concreet walkway, a grass covered hill, and a 'woodsy glen' and full on forrest. Measure temperature, and air quality (COx, NOx, and organics. These are all available as moderate cost sensors.

Coordinate, compare and present your data, in real time, on an Android tablet. (Or better yet, an iPad, but that was not disallowed, right?)

Zeinmariku:
Hello guys , were having a project using arduino mega 2560 , our professor said that we have to develop an arduino project that benefits the environment or the university.

Universities benefit from having lots of students. More students = more money.

Create a device that hypnotises people so that they want to become students.
Failing that, make a flashing sign that says "Become a student"
A Mega has more serial ports than an Uno so you could make it in parts, each one using a serial port.

Sorry sir and sir chris , we only have to use vb.net 2010 if the device uses an interface , as i said before, android devices or ipads is prohibited because it's the schools curriculum and didn't know how to create a program using android to control my arduino, we only have to use vb.net for the interface and on the serious note , i'm having a difficulty finding a title to present because majorities of the titles uses android and and ethernet shields , i didn't know how to use an ethernet shield but will make a research about that.

Zeinmariku:
1.Can you guys give me some projects that uses arduino mega that can benefit the environment?

You could disassemble one and responsibly recycle the components.

How about RF? Use Mega to control an RC plane that can hover and monitor an event, send results via RF (nrf24L01+) back to ground station. Air quality, occasional static picture, GPS to stay on station and gyro/compass to hold plane level or in banked turn around a point.
Look on Hulu or Amazon for "James May's Toy Stories", they built a glider and launched from a helicopter at 10,000 feet, flew 22 miles autonomously and self descended/landed on grass just missing grass runway by 20 feet.
Do similar but as powered flight - fly to a location, monitor whatever for a time period, take air/gas samples, return, send telemetry status via RF for tracking purposes.

CrossRoads:
How about RF? Use Mega to control an RC plane that can hover and monitor an event, send results via RF (nrf24L01+) back to ground station. Air quality, occasional static picture, GPS to stay on station and gyro/compass to hold plane level or in banked turn around a point.
Look on Hulu or Amazon for "James May's Toy Stories", they built a glider and launched from a helicopter at 10,000 feet, flew 22 miles autonomously and self descended/landed on grass just missing grass runway by 20 feet.
Do similar but as powered flight - fly to a location, monitor whatever for a time period, take air/gas samples, return, send telemetry status via RF for tracking purposes.

Hi sir :slight_smile: i will add this to my title :slight_smile: if this title approved by my professor , is there any tutorials in the net to guide me in this project ?

Or, perhaps use the MEGA as a web server, logging and displaying whatever variables you are studying.
The only part of this that may fall short of your professor - is adding a network or wifi shield.

PLEASE! Restrain your learning to that approved by your instructor. Do projects that he can easily assess because he already knows that software/technology. Leave some things to learn next year at appropriate credit-hour rates.

Jeezum Crow!! (Vermontism)...

My wife designed 3 libraries in Saudi Arabia with a $800,000 book budget. A 'teacher' complained to her about suggesting "The Kite Runner" to a sophomore student, "because I always teach that in Junior Year" and she'll think she knows more about the book than I do!"

Insecurity-Driven Education at it's best.

Zeinmariku:
and didn't know how to create a program using android to control my arduino,

As I said before, you don't create a programme, you use one already created. There is no need to re-invent the wheel, you can do that next year if you must. The advantage of android is that it provides a simple and convenient interface in the environment. You don't need to know how it is programmed in order to use it, any more than you need to know how a toaster works in order to eat toast.

i'm having a difficulty finding a title to present because majorities of the titles uses android and ethernet shields , i didn't know how to use an ethernet shield but will make a research about that.

I rather doubt that. The examples you allude to use Android for good and obvious reasopns, but the simplest and most popular way to communicate is via bluetooth. It is also the cheapest and presupposes nothing.

One advantage Mega has over Uno is the number of Serial ports. Consider using that in your next project. Such as GPS, xbee, etc.