Arduino Mega with Firmata

Hi,
I’m working on a project where I need to receive midi inputs into my computer through light sensors. I’m currently using an Arduino Uno with Firmata to transfer the midi to my computer in Ableton Live, but I need more analog inputs (I’d love to have 20-40 eventually). I was thinking of switching to the Arduino mega to receive more analog inputs. However, the research I’ve done makes me think that the Arduino Mega is not so compatible with Firmata. Do you have any suggestions for increasing the amount of analog pins and/or connecting the Arduino Mega with Firmata?
Thanks in advance!
Emma

You don't need a Mega, you can probably just use a couple of 16-channel multiplexers.

But if you're going to get a new board anyway, wouldn't it be better to buy one that supports MIDI over USB?

Pieter

Hi Pieter,
Thank you for your response!
Would the Standard Firmata be able to read the extra 16-channel multiplexers through the Uno?
Also, I'm new to all of this, so I'm not familiar with an Arduino that supports MIDI instead of USB, do you have any in particular in mind?
Thanks again,
Emma

There actually is a part of the forum ...

Interfacing w/ Software on the Computer
Firmata, Processing, Max/MSP, PureData, VVVV, etc.

I'd say do a search on Firmata because it looks like it hasn't been used much in a long time. Compatibility might be or become a problem but then you can still load old IDE versions.

PS -- just saw this recent thread, Firmata on a Due;

Arduino has an archive of the Arduino Playground with many examples/tutorials/articles on coding,

https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/InterfacingWithHardware/#MIDI

Hey, resources!

PieterP:
You don't need a Mega, you can probably just use a couple of 16-channel multiplexers.

But if you're going to get a new board anyway, wouldn't it be better to buy one that supports MIDI over USB?

Pieter

Is there any way of hooking up the 16 channel multiplexer with ableton live using Max for Live?
Thanks,
Emma

As I understand it, Max for Live supports MIDI control, so you should be able to use any MIDI controller sketch, for example this example of my Control Surface library:

https://tttapa.github.io/Control-Surface/Doc/Doxygen/dd/dcc/md_Getting-Started.html

The example uses an 8-channel mux, but you can just as easily use a 16-channel mux.