Arduino Mega, Write to display to on contact closure

Hi everyone. I previously posted regarding writing to an LCD display upon a button being pushed (contact closure).

Circuit would operate as follows : Multiple normally open buttons hooked up to analog inputs. When a single button is pushed(closing the circuit) It shall display something like "Input # is closed". When button is released, LCD display shall read either no text or something generic such as "No buttons Activated".

*Also a simple 7 segment display to show which input is being closed(button being pushed) would work as well.

I guess my question is this...I am very new to this. I have a background in programming and electronics but not much knowledge of programming hardware. That being said, I have searched high and low for a step by step tutorial on how to create this circuit including programming and I had no such luck. I saw alot of inquiries regarding similar projects but no solid help or tutorials.

I was wondering if someone could take the time and put together a tutorial for this. Detailed and showing both how its wired, and the code portion. Using either LCD or 7 segment display or both. I know this is alot to ask of someone but it would be a huge help to me and I think other people as well. Plus seeing how its put together and programmed will be a huge learning opportunity for my. So if anyone is willing please let me know, or if anyone knows of a tutorial thats already out there.

Thanks for your time guys. Keith

I saw alot of inquiries regarding similar projects but no solid help or tutorials.

Is that because your whole class is asking the same question because they have been given the same assignment?

What you are asking for is trivial, it involves reading the input from a push button. So look at the example in the IDE File -> Examples -> 01Basics -> DigitalReadSerial and get it working with the serial monitor.

Then look at wiring up your LCD lots of places for this but here is one https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HelloWorld, get that working.

Then you change that code to say one of two things depending on if the state of your input switch.

The whole point of you being asked to do this is to see if you have understood what you have been taught so far. Please do not act all helpless, if the above is beyond you then look at some more examples, look at the statements you don't understand in the Arduino reference ( under the help menu ), and learn some basic code / computer literacy.

You request is like having a pre-school reading book and asking some one to make you an audio tape of it. The story in these books is not important, what is important is knowing how to understand what is written.

1 Thank you for the tidbit of information you have passed on to me..I guess.

2 I enjoy reading the information provided by the knowledgeable users on this forum emencly. However there are certain individuals such as yourself who just cannot seem to be polite. Its a real bummer that the response you chose to give was negative and belittling.

That being said, I am a Pen tester by trade and I design network infrastructure. Hardware development and programming is purely a hobby. Something I have been playing with for maybe 2 weeks. For you assume that I am some kid trying to take short cuts and trying to find ways around actually learning is just offensive. There is absolutely no harm in having one person provide and demonstrate a task for another person to review, study and learn. Especially a hobbiest. Maybe next time you can work on being a little more accommodating and. less rude.

Thank you.

You will find people a lot more helpful if you have a go at solving the problem yourself and ask where you have gone wrong if it doesn't work. The number of possible combinations of things you can do on an Arduino with push buttons, screens and other components is almost limitless, so it is highly likely that there isn't a step by step tutorial for exactly what you want to do.

Break your problem down into its individual components (in your case the push button and the LCD display) as recommended by @Grumpy_Mike, understand each of those components in isolation and then try to integrate them together. If you hit a snag, you can ask a more focused question rather than asking somebody to show you how to do the whole project. Hopefully you will also find it a lot more satisfying at the end.

If you need to learn by looking at something that works and then trying to understand it, pick a tutorial for a project that already exists, buy the parts and put it together.