Arduino Micro serial problem

So I read as much as I could, no luck.

I have an app running on a micro and I can send / receive data fine from the serial monitor. I have tons of experience with serial across all devices, by the way.

I have a visual basic app that opens the serial port and when I send a character to the micro, the arduino receives the character, sends it back and pulses pin 13 led. I can see the rx light and the pulse of pin 13, but the tx light never pulses. So you would think it got the character and should be echoing it back but it doesn't.

If I load the code on an UNO, it works as expected without one change. I took a look at the ref material on this site, tried the serial with.without the while(!Serial) and it didn't help the micro, the UNO keeps on working fine.

It doesn't make sense that the micro doesn't even try to send yet works fine with the serial monitor. I tried new drivers for the micro.

Any ideas? DTR? CTS?

Thanks.

here's a code snipet, ignore typing mistakes but you can get the flow, again works fine with UNO but not Micro:

in Setup()

Serial.begin(9600);

In loop()

if(Serial.available) { serialIn=Serial.read(); Serial.write(serialIn); digitalWrite(13, HIGH); delay(100); digitalWrite(13,LOW); delay(100); }

OK you idiot, you should set DTR with CTS flow control to RTS in you Visual Basic program!!!

(in case you didn't notice, that is me answering my own question).

Go figure, since when did you have to use DTR and RTS with a micro.

Anyway, all is fixed. I've seen a bunch of people with this problem, wonder if they ever figured it out?

Jerry

OK you idiot, you should set DTR with CTS flow control to RTS in you Visual Basic program!!!

(in case you didn't notice, that is me answering my own question).

Go figure, since when did you have to use DTR and RTS with a micro.

Anyway, all is fixed. I've seen a bunch of people with this problem, wonder if they ever figured it out?

Jerry