Arduino Micro vs Arduino Uno noise issues

Hi Arduino community!

I'm new to this forum. I'll shortly explain my background and some regarding my project.
I'm a Master graduate student High-Tech Engineering at the TU Delft (the Netherlands) and am currently building a linear motor that is low-cost to boost the effectiveness of additive manufacturing. I'm facing some issues with my PID control loop when switching microcontroller from the Atmega 328p (UNO) to the Atmega 32u4 (Micro).

Now I am using a Micro clone by Robotdyn, however original boards are ordered, which should come in any day.

I'm using 3 PWM pins to drive a three phase half bridge, and changed the PWM to 7.8 KHz using ICR1 and ICR3 as TOP values.

Where the control and audio from my motor seems to be noiseless for the Arduino Uno at 30Hz bandwidth, I'm facing a significant increase in noise on my Arduino micro. On the Uno I could have even increased the bandwidth frequency higher...

This is something I just can't seem to understand. I thought the Arduino Micro is more powerful and otherwise has at least similar specs to the Arduino uno. Am I wrong here? Decreasing my bandwidth frequency of my controller to 20Hz reduces the noise, but it's still present.

I'm hoping an original board fixes this, however I have my doubts, since I think it's processor related (and they all make use of the same processor, right?).

If it's true the Micro is actually performing worse than the Uno, what other small board do you recommend to use that has high performance and low delays?

Thank you for your help!

This is something I just can’t seem to understand. I thought the Arduino Micro is more powerful and otherwise has at least similar specs to the Arduino uno. Am I wrong here?

Yes, the Micro works at 16MHz using an AVR platform as does the UNO. The most important difference is that the Micro includes the USB interface in the main processor while the UNO does that in a coprocessor.

The ATmega32U4 of the Micro has 2.5kB of RAM while the UNO has only 2kB of RAM but if you use the USB interface you won’t notice any benefit as the interface needs some RAM for it’s function too.

I’m hoping an original board fixes this, however I have my doubts, since I think it’s processor related (and they all make use of the same processor, right?).

Let’s hope it, I would expect it if the result is named Micro. But even Arduino isn’t straightforward in naming, today you get several different processors all on boards named “Nano”.

If it’s true the Micro is actually performing worse than the Uno, what other small board do you recommend to use that has high performance and low delays?

Define your needs! There are probably a dozen boards that fulfill the requirements “high performance” and “low delay” if you attest these to an UNO. If you don’t need the built-in USB functionality a Nano board probably better fits as it uses the same processor as the UNO.

As you failed to post your code we cannot check if the problem might source in an error in the sketch.