Arduino microprocessor relacement

Hi,

I seem to have burnt out my original Arduino Uno R3's microprocessor (ATMEGA328P-PU) some time ago (might also be the MEGA16U2, but only one way to find out I guess...). I want to replace it since I don't wanna throw away an otherwise perfectly good Arduino. The only replacement part I can seem to find, tho, is an ATMEGA328 with the bootloader preloaded. My question now is if there will be any problems just swapping that one in (Internet tells me the only differences are power consumption and chip-ID).

You can certainly use the ATmega328 with Arduino.

Some people are too lazy to type that extra "P" character, so you'll often see the ATmega328P referred to as an "ATmega328", even though they are two different parts, so it's possible that the listing you're looking at is actually for an ATmega328P. I would be surprised to find pre-bootloaded ATmega328 (non-P) for sale, but I've certainly been surprised before by the strange things people do.

This is a very common part, so you can definitely find the ATmega328P. I guess that the pre-bootloaded are not quite so widely available though so I suppose if that's a requirement for you then your options might be more limited.

AnonAustria13_1:
I want to replace it since I don't wanna throw away an otherwise perfectly good Arduino.

That remains to be seen :wink:

Run the loopback test described in the stickies. If it fails, you will definitely have to replace the 16U2 or find an alternative way of uploading using a so-called FTDI cable or FTDI breakout board.

You will also have to check the voltage regulators.