Arduino MIDI project to ATiny 2313, is it possible?

Hi everyone,

I've never used any other microcontroller than the arduino's ATmega. Now, I have an old small arduino project, a MIDI controller I built using 6 buttons, a midi jack (out) and a 8x8 max7219 led dot matrix, which I could use to control a few midi devices and stompboxes I own.

I decided I could design a nice enclosure and give it a try, but also that'd it be nice to shrink it. So I need some advice here... I can get an ATtiny 2313, will it work? it has enough pins to connect everything i think, but will it perform ok for midi stuff?

Thanks in advance!

The big snag is that it only has 2K of program memory, can you squeeze it all in?

Grumpy_Mike:
The big snag is that it only has 2K of program memory, can you squeeze it all in?

Thanks for replying!

You're right... I'd have to reduce my sketch size considerably.
I could also try with an attiny85, but I'd have to group all buttons in one analog pin.

I could also try with an attiny85, but I'd have to group all buttons in one analog pin.

Why, it has three analogue input? Four if you use the reset pin and keep the minimum voltage up with a resistor.

The snag with the attiny85 is there is no UART so you have to use software serial and the free running oscillator means the baud rate will drift off.

Grumpy_Mike:
Why, it has three analogue input? Four if you use the reset pin and keep the minimum voltage up with a resistor.

Yes, but i'd like to connect the buttons, a midi out jack and an 8x8 led matrix (max7219)... heh.

Grumpy_Mike:
The snag with the attiny85 is there is no UART so you have to use software serial and the free running oscillator means the baud rate will drift off.

I guess it won't do if it's not stable enough, I'd like to use it to perform live.
I'd stick with the ATmega for now and experiment a bit with the ATtiny, just for fun/learning.

Thanks Mike!

I guess it won't do if it's not stable enough

You can always add a crystal or resonator. But then that is using another pin.