Arduino Midterm Project

Hello,

I am currently a college sophomore studying Design and Technology in NYC and just started working with the Arduino Uno kit this semester. While I still have a lot to learn it’s already time to decide on a midterm project. I am interested in working in a medical related field and would love to make something that could be used to help those with life altering illnesses. However, my limited experience with Arduino is making it hard to find something that fits my skill set.

Any suggestions for projects or people to research are greatly appreciated!

A good purpose for a project. If You not yet have done it, learn the basics in programming/electronics: Build small modules and make them work one at the time. Then expand Your project one more step making the next module work.
Depending on where in the world You live the needs will be different. Check institutions for disabled or cripled people and get ideas.

(deleted)

Start out by making a 'call for help' device. A button will flash a LED and sound a buzzer for a few seconds, then repeat until it's reset. Then once you have a bit of experience, you can make it send a CFH text to the appropriate recipient.

No criticism.
Keep in mind that in this type of application - the device should 'fail to safe' or 'fail to inert'
So the user is not put at risk, or alarmed by the failure mode.

In fact the data sheet on the processor in the Arduino specifically forbids the use in a system that will sustain life or endanger life if it fails.

Your aims while admirable are a bit too ambitious for one with such a small skill set.

Anyway what on Earth is a sophomore, we don’t have these in the UK. I used to be, what you would call, a professor, but in the UK they are different things.

@Grumpy...
Think of ‘sophomoric’...!

Grumpy_Mike:
In fact the data sheet on the processor in the Arduino specifically forbids the use in a system that will sustain life or endanger life if it fails.

Your aims while admirable are a bit too ambitious for one with such a small skill set.

Anyway what on Earth is a sophomore, we don’t have these in the UK. I used to be, what you would call, a professor, but in the UK they are different things.

If it's a college sophomore, it means grade 14 in high school. If it's in high school, it means 14 year olds.

Thanks but grades are an American thing, so not much clearer.

I did google the word and it gave

conceited and overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature

From Sophomoric | Definition of Sophomoric by Merriam-Webster

It is a word we don’t use in the UK.

Grumpy_Mike:
Thanks but grades are an American thing, so not much clearer.

I did google the word and it gaveFrom Sophomoric | Definition of Sophomoric by Merriam-Webster

“conceited and overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature”

It is a word we don’t use in the UK.

I dunno… some on that side of the pond might use that meaning, but a different word… “American…”
Here in the US, Sophomore is typically the second year of a 2 year school.
High School, grades 9-12 are freshman, sophomore, junior, senior

Sophomoric is typically used to describe the mental/emotional engagement of a typical 14 year old boy…! Often impulsive, hormone driven.

Nothing targeted at anyone in this group… Just sayin’

Whatever you do, try to choose a project where you can succeed early and expand it as time allows. An example I've suggested before is a Greenhouse monitor. Once you're reading temperature and humidity you're done, for a rather boring value of done. Then you can add more sensing, fans, window actuators, blinds, misters, irrigation etc until the project comes due.

For medical, perhaps try reading blood oxygen level and pulse to start. Move onto monitoring weight (from a smart scale), storing the data, looking for trends. Maybe electrocardiogram if you're really ambitious.

Although it's true that the Arduino is explicitly restricted from use in life safety applications, I don't see that that prevents you from measuring vital signs as part of a school project. Selling such a product would be a very different matter though.