Arduino Mini Atmega 328 with mini usb adapter not working

I’m unable to connect to the Arduino Mini (Atmega 328) with mini usb adapter. Correct board and port selected. In fact, when I switch back to an arduino UNO, I can communicate just fine so I’m pretty sure its not the cable or port selection or any of the usual suspects. After putting in many hours, I even ordered a new Arduino Mini and a new Mini USB adapter. Got the same result.

Attached is a picture of the setup which is (I hope) a duplicate of the circuit shown in the Getting Started guide to the Arduino Mini (http://arduino.cc/it/Guide/ArduinoMini).

When I try to upload the simple Blink example, it freezes during upload. If I upload holding the shift key I get the following error:
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device “usb”

Operating System: Windows XP

I’m at wits end.

Thanks for any help.

Try measuring some voltages, like +5v. Maybe you shorted something.

Measured all the voltages and everything seems to be working. Any other troubleshooting advice? I don't know if its the mini USB adapter or the Arduino mini.

Are there any other parameters I need to change besides selecting the Arduino Mini Atmega 328 from the Tools/Board menu?

Thanks,

Shawn

I don't see enough wires. You need +5, Gnd, CTS on adapter connected to Gnd, Rx, Tx, and DTR on adapter connected to Reset on the mini. With a 10K pullup to Vcc if the mini doesn't have one.

Thanks Crossroads. A couple of questions if you have time.

For my circuit, I followed the instructions on the Arduino Mini Getting Started page: http://arduino.cc/it/Guide/ArduinoMini

It would appear those instructions use the previous version of the mini USB adapter. But I can't find any documentation with regard to using the Arduino Mini with the new USB adapter. Two questions

1. How does one know to connect the CTS and DTR pins without any documentation? (Especially if one had to google what those pins mean?)
  2. The example on the Arduino Mini Getting Started page shows the Mini powered by the +5 V line off the USB adapter. Do I need an external 5V supply? Referencing your reply below.

Thanks so much! I've been called away to travel for work but will work up the circuit on my return.

source

CrossRoads: I don't see enough wires. You need +5, Gnd, CTS on adapter connected to Gnd, Rx, Tx, and DTR on adapter connected to Reset on the mini. With a 10K pullup to Vcc if the mini doesn't have one.

If you look at the FTDI Basic http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716 Those 6 are the connections made for the FTDI chip to work with an ATMega on one side and the PC via the USB port on the other.

1. Learned from experience.
  2. +5V can be supplied via the USB adapter.

Thanks. So just to sum up. From my original circuit picture I attached to my first posting, I just need to add:

1. Ground connection to CTS
  2. DTR to reset

Everything else I can leave the same I believe?

On a random note, I just found a circuit on the web someone made that doesn’t connect the CTS and DTR lines using the same version of the mini USB and Arduino mini. I’ve attached the pic. Confusing.

I really appreciate the help. thanks again!

CrossRoads:
I don’t see enough wires.
You need
+5,
Gnd,
CTS on adapter connected to Gnd,
Rx,
Tx,
and DTR on adapter connected to Reset on the mini. With a 10K pullup to Vcc if the mini doesn’t have one.

350512742_7ac7071369.jpg