Arduino Mini logs when sounds within a certain frequency range are detected

I am trying to build a device that detects coughing in dogs, and records how frequently they are coughing in a given time. The device must be able to distinguish coughing from environmental sounds, as well as other sounds dogs make such as panting or barking. The desired result is that the dog wears the device for a few days, then the vet can plug the device into their computer, and a graph appears displaying the amount of coughs detected over time.

I am unfamiliar with coding arduinos, and I am looking for any help or advice. I plan on using an Arduino Pro Mini and a Adafruit Electret Microphone Amplifier with adjustable gain.

I was initially looking into using MATLAB, but since the Arduino has an internal clock, I believe that might be over complicating things. Is there a code that can record data when a certain frequency is detected?

Thank you!

This kind of thing is complicated… MATLAB (or other computer based DSP) is probably a better option. Even if you wanted to build an Arduino-based gadget to do this, I’d recommend starting with a computer to determine how much analysis/processing is required, or if it can be done at all… it’s a lot easier to get and display a spectrogram on a computer.

It’s unlikely your going to get anywhere 100% accuracy unless you can train the dog to bark/cough directly into the microphone for consistent-repeatable results. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

but since the Arduino has an internal clock, I believe that might be over complicating things.

I think that says a lot. Clearly you understand absolutely nothing about computers and you want to take on a project that if possible would net you a PhD.

The best advice I can offer is that you are way out of your depth here. It is a great hobby but it has its limits and you are way outside them.

I don’t mean to sound harsh but their is no way you can do this project.