hi, i have worked with arduino few years back and now i came back to it, i am trying connect led strip to arduino mini. I connected the 12V 1A wall adapter to raw pin, the arduino worked, so i went to upload the code to it but when i connected to computer it started to overheat extremely in like 15 seconds, i burned my finger when i touched it so i disconected it this happened several times till it stopped overheating now i can't upload anything to it but the red led still lights up i think it is burned but can you tell me why? The raw should take 12 right?
How were you powering the LED strip?
i had nothing connected yet, i just powered the arduino mini pro with 12V wall adapter.
Did you turn off the 12V power supply before connecting it to the laptop? If not, then this was your error!
yes i turned it off
So you had :
No code on the board.
Nothing connected, but the power supply.
Verified the Voltage & polatity of the power supply with a meter.
Ensured the board was not on a conductive serface.
If this is the case, then it sounds like a faulty Pro Mini. Though the board has been retired for some time, I assume it's old stock, or you have had the board for a while.
I connected the 12V 1A wall adapter to raw pin, the arduino worked, so i went to upload the code to it but when i connected to computer it started to overheat extremely in like 15 seconds
This sound like you did NOT disconnect the power supply!
i was thinking if the FT232RL is causing it?
i use it to connect the arduino to computer
Please post a hand drawn wiring diagram and a photo of the setup that caused the Arduino to overheat. Also post a link to the exact model Pro Mini you are using.
The raw should take 12 right?
Some people think so, but it is wise to basically forget the "Raw" pin ever existed!
The Pro Mini actually operates on 5 V. A suitable power supply is a USB "phone charger" which provides 5 V.
Is your "12V 1A wall adapter" a switchmode (lightweight) regulated adapter? If it is the older, heavy variety containing just a mains transformer, rectifier and capacitor, it will actually provide 18 V and smoking your Arduino is entirely to be expected.
With a bit of luck you may have only trashed the regulator on the Pro Mini, which is useless anyway and the Pro Mini may work OK if you remove it.
This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.