Arduino mini Serial port

Hey I just ordered an arduino mini online. The site did not mention that I needed a special adapter to plug it in my computer's serial port. Can this be done anyway without spending another 14 euro for the adapter?

If your PC has a serial port then you could use a max232 or similar chip to connect it to the mini. It will translate between rs232 serial and the 5V TTL Serial that the arduino mini requires.

dhunt: If your PC has a serial port then you could use a max232 or similar chip to connect it to the mini. It will translate between rs232 serial and the 5V TTL Serial that the arduino mini requires.

Googled it. It costs around $2 :) Can I simply tie the pins to a serial connector or do I need other components as well?

Depending on which chip you get it may need some support components like a couple of capacitors. Download the datasheet for the one you found and check the circuits in it. It will show you what else you need to get it working. You’ll probably need a serial D socket also unless you have a cable you can chop up.

dhunt: Depending on which chip you get it may need some support components like a couple of capacitors. Download the datasheet for the one you found and check the circuits in it. It will show you what else you need to get it working. You'll probably need a serial D socket also unless you have a cable you can chop up.

I should have bought a UNO instead of a mini Pro. If only I knew that you would have to build adapters and shiz.

I should have bought a UNO instead of a mini Pro. If only I knew that you would have to build adapters and shiz.

Well, go ahead and buy a UNO and call it a learining experience.

zoomkat:

Well, go ahead and buy a UNO and call it a learning experience.

I asked the staff to change my order. I hope they read my message before they send the package to me.

I got my uno <3