Arduino + Motor Driver + PowerBank = Possible ?

Hi there,

Just a quick question... is it possible to use a mobile power bank to power up arduino UNO + L298N motor driver to power 2 DC hobby motors ? without any external AA or AAA batteries. If its possible... What mAH power should I get ? any info much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

is it possible to use a mobile power bank to power up arduino UNO + L298N motor driver to power 2 DC hobby motors ? without any external AA or AAA batteries.

Isn't a mobile power bank a battery?

What mAH power should I get ?

One that provides enough milliAmps per hour to drive the things that need to be driven for the amount of time that they need to be driven.

Your question is like what size gas tank do I need? I am not going to tell you how I drive, what I drive, how far I need to go, what kind of gas mileage I get, or how often I'm willing to refuel. But, I need to know what size gas tank to get.

1 Like

Sorry for the lack of information. Yes, I meant the power bank that we use to charge the mobile/tablet devices..etc.

The 2 DC motors power up something like 3.5 - 6v hobby motors I guess. It comes with this kit over here:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1929860431_4/Hot-For-DIY-Motor-Smart-Robot-2WD-Car-Chassis-Kit-Speed-Encoder-Battery-Box-Remote-Control.jpg

So..basically the power bank should power up the following...

1.) Arduino UNO ( MCB ) 2.) L298N Dual H-Bridge Motor Driver ( for driving motors ) 3.) BLE module ( for wireless communication )

The reason, I asked for which one to go for is to make sure I don't fry the arduino or other components with too much power or so. Just making sure.

PS: I have a power bank with capacity of 5600mAh

On the label it says...

Input: DC 5V 1000mA Output: DC 5V 2100mA (MAX)

I have 2 output USB's 1x 1000mA (max) and 1x 2100mA (max)

rshnk90:
PS: I have a power bank with capacity of 5600mAh

Power banks are meant for charging batteries.

Powering an Arduino board from a power bank is problematic, because nearly all power banks on the market have a “power cut-off” (auto-off) feature, while the current drawn from the power-bank falls below a certain limit.

I think, Arduino boards like UNO draw something like 45…55 mA. Mini boards even less.
And the power auto-off of most power banks is at a minumum of 60…100 mA.

So most likely: If your motors do not draw any current and your Arduino board draws less than the auto-off current of your power bank, your Arduino board will see a power loss and shut down due to lack of power after a few seconds.

Even if a power bank has a 5V outlet, you cannot use a power bank for powering low-power devices. They will automatically shut off their 5V output after a few seconds, if you do not draw at least 60…100 mA current to prevent auto-off.

Ok thanks for the info. I will check and see if mine has this auto-off function.

Thanks again.