Arduino nana and 2m led strip

Hi all

I am building a lightsaber and planning on using a arduino nano and 2 × 1m addressable rgb strips(30leds per meter).

So the problem i am having is getting power to the arduino and the leds. Im not clever when it comes to the power side of things.

Every thing needs to be contained inside the lightsaber, i would also like to include some way of chaging the batterys with out taking every thing apart.

To my understanding the nano needs 5v and the rgb strips are also 5v, what would be the best battery solution here as a battery bank 5v/2 amps wont be enough.

what would be the best battery solution here as a battery bank 5v/2 amps wont be enough.

Well you don’t get 5V batteries.
Pick a higher voltage LiPo battery and get a buck converter to take it down to 5V.

Also restrict the brightness of the LEDs to get a longer battery life. Don’t expect a super small battery and a long battery life and a very bright display, you are fighting physics and you can’t win at that. Only come to an acceptable compromise.

I gather that your two strips will be running back to back and both driven by the same data at the base.

60 LEDs at 55 mA each maximum would be 3.3 A. Note that they also have a minimum current draw of 60 mA when dark, so you do need an on-off switch.

Four Ni-MH ("C") batteries may be a possibility as the on-off switch can also prevent the charging voltage being applied to the electronics.

Paul__B:
I gather that your two strips will be running back to back and both driven by the same data at the base.

60 LEDs at 55 mA each maximum would be 3.3 A. Note that they also have a minimum current draw of 60 mA when dark, so you do need an on-off switch.

Four Ni-MH ("C") batteries may be a possibility as the on-off switch can also prevent the charging voltage being applied to the electronics.

correct yes, would it not be better than to use 2 x 18650 as they have higher amps and the volts would be 7.4 - 8.4v. would you be able to use a step down that has sufficient amps and volts to power the Arduino and the led strip.

OK, for two 18650 you need a switchmode "buck" converter module rated for at least 5 Amps.

But you either make them removable and charge them separately - probably the best idea - or you have to build in a charging circuit designed for a "2S" battery with charge balancing.

What are you using for sound? :grinning:

Havent looked at a sound board. For now i just want the led and then the flash when you hit it with a gyro. Ordered everything today so hope ill get this working. Charging the 18650 wont be a problem as i am a vaper and have a 18650 6cell charger

Which switchmode "buck" converter module have you ordered?

I order this one.
https://www.robotics.org.za/2865?search=step%20down%206a as the one i have is the same but only 3A

Ah! Pololu.

Excellent choice, that brand is regarded here as highly reliable. And you can use the enable function as your power switch. :grinning:

Hi I am busy building a light saber and drew up the schematic as i think it should be.(See attachment)

Could some one confirm the wiring is correct before i start to solder and fry some thing.

Duplicate topics merged

Cross-posting is against the rules of the forum. The reason is that duplicate posts can waste the time of the people trying to help. Someone might spend 15 minutes (or more) writing a detailed answer on this topic, without knowing that someone else already did the same in the other topic.

Repeated cross-posting will result in a suspension from the forum.

In the future, please take some time to pick the forum board that best suits the topic of your question and then only post once to that forum board. This is basic forum etiquette, as explained in the sticky “How to use this forum - please read.” post you will find at the top of every forum board. It contains a lot of other useful information. Please read it.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

[

Expand<](https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=681065.0;attach=361275)