Arduino nano 33 BLE is not recognized by computer

I have an Arduino nano 33 BLE hooked up to my computer. I wanted to upload an updated sketch to the arduino, however the arduino is not recognized by the computer anymore (yesterday I had no problems). Another thing is that the IMU sensor becomes quite hot, but the scripts that is currently on it seems to be working fine. Does this mean that the serial connection is broken or anything? I have a 9V battery hooked up to the arduino with the minus to the ground and the 9V of the battery to the Vin pin. However to turn of the power I released the 9V wire and that dangled around the arduino, this might have caused a short circuit?

Below you can see my code that I want to upload.

/*
  Arduino NANO 33 BLE with IMU sensor. The Arduino is hooked up to an Adafruit SD breakout board. 

Pin 5 on the arduino nano is connected with a LED, that indicates that data is logged when it is on.

SD board pins connected to Arduino nano:
  - DI 11
  - DO 12
  - CLK 13
  - CS 10

*/

#include <SD.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Arduino_LSM9DS1.h>

void setup() {
  const int chipSelect = 10;
  String filename = "";
  pinMode(5, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(5, HIGH);

Serial.begin(9600);
  //while (!Serial);
  Serial.println("Started");

if (!IMU.begin()) {
    //Serial.println("Failed to initialize IMU!");
    while (1){
      digitalWrite(5, LOW);
    }
  }
  if (!SD.begin(chipSelect)){
    //Serial.println("Failed to initialize SD!");
    while(1){
      digitalWrite(5, LOW);
    }
  }

//Turn of LED, when turned off, nothing is logged
  //digitalWrite(5, LOW);

//Remove old logged data
  SD.remove("datalog.txt");
}

void loop() {

//Create variables for acceleration in x, y and z and angular rate in phi, theta, psi
  float x, y, z, phi, theta, psi;

String dataString = "";

//Read data from IMU and gyroscope and add it to dataString
  if (IMU.accelerationAvailable() && IMU.gyroscopeAvailable()) {
    IMU.readAcceleration(x, y, z);
    IMU.readGyroscope(phi, theta, psi);
    dataString = String(millis()) + ",";
    dataString += String(x) + "," + String(y) + "," + String(z);
    dataString += "," + String(phi) + "," + String(theta) + "," + String(psi);
    Serial.println(dataString);
  }

//Open datafile
  File dataFile = SD.open("Datalog.txt", FILE_WRITE);

//If file is available, write to it, else turn of the LED
  if(dataFile){
    dataFile.println(dataString);
    dataFile.close();
  }
  else{
    while(1){
      digitalWrite(5, LOW);
    }
    //Serial.println("error openeing datalog.txt");
  }
}

Start by unplugging the Nano 33 BLE from your computer, then disconnecting everything from your Nano 33 BLE. After that, plug the Nano 33 BLE's USB cable into your computer. Is it now recognized?

Yes I tried but that did not work. I also connected my arduino UNO to the computer and that one is recognized!

Try this:

1. Plug the USB cable of your Nano 33 BLE board into your computer.
  2. Press and release the reset button twice quickly.

After doing that, does the "L" LED start pulsing?

1 Like

pert:
Try this:

• Plug the USB cable of your Nano 33 BLE board into your computer.
  • Press and release the reset button twice quickly.

After doing that, does the "L" LED start pulsing?

I have done this, the "L" LED starts pulsing but does not show up on my computer. Any other recommendations?

This is a good sign. It means the microcontroller on the Nano 33 BLE is at least somewhat functional and the bootloader is working.

Make sure the USB cable is completely plugged into both the Arduino board and the PC.

You may have a damaged/defective or charge-only USB cable. Try a different cable.

pert:
This is a good sign. It means the microcontroller on the Nano 33 BLE is at least somewhat functional and the bootloader is working.

Make sure the USB cable is completely plugged into both the Arduino board and the PC.

You may have a damaged/defective or charge-only USB cable. Try a different cable.

I tried two different cables that worked before, but I am still not able to see the arduino on the port. Does the IMU sensor getting hot say anything about possible damage to the arduino, or is it normal to get hot? (It gets really hot!)

No, I don't think it's at all normal for an IMU to get really hot. The conditions that caused that could well have damaged the Nano 33 BLE.

Which operating system are you using?

I am using windows 10.

pert:
No, I don't think it's at all normal for an IMU to get really hot. The conditions that caused that could well have damaged the Nano 33 BLE.

Which operating system are you using?

If you open Windows Device Manager and then plug the USB cable of your Nano 33 BLE into your computer, do you see a new device appear?

Nothing happens. When I plug in my arduino UNO, it does appear in the device manager.